iframe, adobe and input fields

Rick.E

I've created a simple application (CGI) to display a .PDF document on a web page (using iframe) and an input field (or two). The PDFs are scanned documents that need a number assigned to them based on what is hand written on the document. The annoyance is: When I display this on the web page, the only way for the user to be able to access the input field is to click on it with the mouse. I know this might sound really simplistic, but is there any way to force the cursor to the input field so the user doesn't have to click it? The really annoying part of this is that you can't even use the tab key to get to the input field (because of adobe). The user typically has to do 100 or more at a time and bouncing back and forth between the mouse and keyboard gets old really fast. -Rick

That was very helpful and got me most of the way there. The cursor now shows up in the input field when the page is displayed. The problem still is: ADOBE.When the web page displays, the cursor shows up in the input field. If you try to type anything into the input field, nothing happens; even if you click inside the input field. The only way to get it so you can actually enter in data is to: Click somewhere outside the field, then in the field. This is definately an Adobe (caused) problem because if I make a mistake in the iframe url (and no document shows up), it works just fine. aargh. Here is a code snippet of what I'm doing. (Yes its crude, but its only a proof of concept at this point.) <HTML><HEAD><script>function inputFocus(){document.getElementById('scan').blur();document.getElementById('patno').focus();}</script></HEAD><BODY onload="inputFocus()" bgcolor="WHITE" text="BLACK"> <CENTER> <TABLE width="1020"><TR><TD> <FORM method="POST" action="page2.html"> <TABLE> <TR><TD> <IFRAME id="scan" src="http://server/docs/scn123.pdf" width="963" height="500"></IFRAME> </TD></TR> </TABLE> <TABLE> <TR><TD height="20"></TD></TR> <TR> <TD width="100"><BR></TD> <TD width="100">Patient number:</TD> <TD width="250"><INPUT id="patno" name="PATNUM" type="TEXT" size="8" maxlength="8"></TD> </TR> <TR> <TD width="100"><BR></TD> <TD width="100"><BR></TD> <TD width="250"><INPUT type="SUBMIT" value="Submit"></TD> </TR> </TABLE> </FORM> </TD></TR></TABLE> </CENTER></BODY></HTML>

Can you post a web link so we can see what you're talking about? Else, all we can do is display your code which lets me immediately input a patient number. In other words, I can't reproduce the problem you described with the code you posted.

Thanks. Your link gives me immediate access to the input field and will accept input. That's what you wanted. Right?

Yes, that is what I want... But for some (odd) reason, its not working for me. I'm running Firefox 15.0.1, Adobe plugin 9.5.2.295. I also tried it on two other PCs which have the latest Adobe plugin 10.1.4.38. Additionally I tried Internet Explorer, and with that web browser, it doesn't even place the cursor in the input field on any of the PCs. I wonder what it is about my network/PC config(s) that are causing this to fail. The only thing I haven't tried is to access it from the outside, but that doesn't do me any good as this is an internal only application. This is really weird. -Rick

That's interesting. I was using ff 7.01. Get a copy of that and your problem might be solved. Different browser versions have different functionality some of which are probably quite accidental. This might be one of them since I happened to use a much older version of ff.

Edited by niche

adobe acrobat extended pro 9 FYI: We wrote a non web application that works best in ff 5

Edited by niche