Need advice - First time application development

jxfish2

I'm a senior HP Unix Systems Engineer, but I've never developed an actual web-based application.<b> I run Windows and Linux at home.<b> I have my own home-built SAN.<b> I did some basic MySQL installation and setup at work.<b> I have fairly decent SQL skills.<b> I want to create my own online application, but that application will need a very fast, back-end processing engine.<b> I am heavy into shell scripting, but that's not going to be fast enough to process the amount of data that I envision for this app.<b> I need to learn some kind of simple, yet powerful compiled language.<b> I started studying C++ 2 days ago, and so far, it looks fairly straight-forward and not too difficult.<b> What other "tools" do I need, in order to allow the new C++ programs to query and manipulate the actual MySQL database?<b> SQL by itself won't do it, PHP won't do it, as it's not compiled, and won't be fast enough to process the data in a timely manner.<b> At this time, I'm planning to build the web-based front-end using HTML and PHP.<b> I'm planning to use MySQL as the database itself.<b> Linux will of course be the O/S of choice.<b> I want to get this project off the ground as quickly as possible, so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<b> Thanks in advance, and have a very happy holiday season.

• Like 1

The PHP core developers would take issue with your claim about speed (PHP 5.4 is fast enough to handle Facebook and Yahoo), but if you want to use a compiled language then you'll need to set up the same sort of relationship that PHP uses with the web server. The web server is configured to relay requests for certain files to certain handlers, so you can write your own compiled application and configure the web server to relay requests for files to your application. I'm not sure what benefits you'll see though, at ZendCon this year someone asked one of the core developers about speed (and in particular Facebook's implementation of PHP), and one of the points the developers made is that the bottleneck for applications is moving to things like the database, where there is delay in reading the data from disk. The HTTP request itself also has delay, so the bottleneck is no longer the actual code execution and instead is moving to network and filesystem performance. I've seen major impact from filesystem performance in my own applications. If you're going to write your own request handler for a web server you'll also need to manually handle all of the request parsing and processing that PHP does automatically. For MySQL and C++, there is a connector available here: http://dev.mysql.com...nector-cpp.html