Changing div backgroundColor dynamically

FeRo

Hi!I've got a slight problem I'm just not able to work out.I'm trying to change the backgroundColor of a div to the backgroundColor of another div, by clicking on the second one with the following code, but it doesn't work and I have no idea why. Html:

<div id="chosenColor"></div>  <div id="c1" onClick="changeColor(this.style.backgroundColor)"></div>

JavaScript:

function changeColor(color){document.getElementById("chosenColor").style.backgroundColor = color;alert(color.innerHTML);}

CSS:

#chosenColor {background-color: black;}#c1 {background-color: yellow; }

Thank you in advance!

Thanks. I guess I forgot to take that out. I used the alert() to see if the function was working at all... I'm just gonna post the whole code because I went through it for hours and still have no clue what could be wrong... (since it is still not working)HTML(+js):

<html>  <head>    <title>Canvas Paint - Example 5</title><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">  </head>  <body>  <script>  function changeColor(color)  {   document.getElementById("chosenColor").style.backgroundColor = color;   alert(color.innerHTML);  }  </script>   <div id="chosenColor"></div>  <div id="c1" onClick="changeColor(this.style.backgroundColor)"></div></body></html>

CSS:

#chosenColor {width: 40px;height: 40px;background-color: black;}#c1 {width: 20px;height: 20px;background-color: yellow;}

You are expecting it to pick up the background color set by the css styling, but your code looks for styling set up inline only as in

<div id="c1" style="background-color:yellow;" onClick="changeColor(this.style.backgroundColor)"></div>

for non inline styling as you have used you would have to use code similar to

function getStyle(el, cssprop){ if (el.currentStyle) //IE  return el.currentStyle[cssprop] else if (document.defaultView && document.defaultView.getComputedStyle) //Firefox  return document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(el, "")[cssprop] else //try and get inline style  return el.style[cssprop]}   function changeColor(el)  {  var bcolor= getStyle(el, 'backgroundColor')  //alert(bcolor);   document.getElementById("chosenColor").style.backgroundColor = bcolor;     }

with

<div id="c1" onClick="changeColor(this)"></div>

• Like 1