Can someone point out what is wrong with this cast statement?

bbenedict

Need to convert some columns to different data type, but this statement will not work. Any idea what I am missing? (mgmt Studio has the first 'CAST' and 'AS' underlined. SELECT CAST [ETL_ID as int] as ETL_ID, NAMEX, DU_DEGREE_STATUS, DU_ESTS_DESC, Cast [bANNER_ID as (varchar(36),Null)]as BANNER_ID, DU_COLLEGE_DESC, cAST [DU_DEL_TERM_CODE_ADMIT as (VARCHAR(255),NULL)] AS DU_DEL_TERM_CODE_ADMIT, AGE, ETHNICITY_DESCRIPTION, GENDER, cAST [T1 as (VARCHAR(255),NULL)] AS T1, T1Status, cAST [T2 as (VARCHAR(255),NULL)] as T2, T2Status, cAST [T3 as (VARCHAR(255),NULL)] as T3, T3Status, cAST [T4 as (VARCHAR(255),NULL)] as T4, T4StatusFROM dbo.['Tracking 3$']

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! So i got this to work but there is still one wierd problem, when the cast statement is executed the values in one of the colums goes through this transformation: original (float, null) - 12594570New (after: CAST(thing_ID AS VARCHAR(36)) AS Thing_ID) 1.25946e+007 In the warehouse I cannot link these notations with the fact table.

Update: I inserted ,Cast(CAST(BANNER_ID AS VARCHAR(50))as decimal) as BANNER_ID to try and fix the notication and return it back to a simple number and now I get this 'Error converting data type varchar to numeric." so i think i am getting closer.

• 2 weeks later...