physical network design

elexion

Hello everyone, I am told to make a network and I am bumping into some difficulty in the design. I am told to make a IP plan simply put it's a long list with all the numbers involved in the network, so far I have everything written down I just can't figure out what to do with the router. network.jpgthis is the physical drawing I made of my network. But I am not sure if this works and why it would work or would not work. I have been told by my mentor to find out what a router does and what and I have concluded is that "a router sends network packages to the appropriate place/device within the network" but that was not a valid answer and he wondered off rambling. So what should I improve in my physical network drawing and why? What does a router do (in simple terms)? and what do I need to document about it(IP address? gateway?)? The database server and the webserver use a peer to peer connection to communicate with each other. Sorry about the stupid / easy question but I just can't figure out what I need to do and this is the only forum I can find to be remotely active.

A router is typically the device that assigns IP addresses, acts as a gateway, etc. The other devices will connect to the router, maybe through a switch or something, but the router is basically the center of the network. The internet connection plugs in to the router, all other devices plug into it somehow, and the router assigns internal IPs to each device and lets them access the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, a router acts as a "gateway". But what's a "gateway" you may wonder?A gateway is a device that connects one local network with another local network... from said device's point of view. Computers that are instead connected over switches have direct visibility to each other, i.e. you type the IP address, and you're there. There's no need to configure any device in any fashion.In your drawing, all PCs are connected over a switch, while the two lines coming out from "Router1" represent the two local networks Router1 is connecting. If the PCs want to connect to the servers, they'll connect to Router1, and Router1 will then forward their request to the requested server.Now... I think the problem your mentor is alluding to might be the portion between Router0 and Router1. These two routers share a common local network. All other devices within that network (the servers) have direct visibility with both of them. The "problem" however is that they can't connect to both. They can connect only to one. Only routers can connect to multiple different other routers, depending on the IP address the client wants to connect to (e.g. Router1 could sometimes connect to Router0, or connect to a different device in that network if need be).Assuming Router0 is responsible for providing internet access, I guess the problem can be paraphrased as "With this setup, the servers can't be accessed from both the local PCs and the internet".How exactly do you solve this problem depends on the desired final setup.