Redirect Best Practice?

knystrom18

What would be considered best practice to show a user a blog on a different domain from the same entity? A javascript redirect? An html redirect? A frame where the other domain is displayed under a "bar" (a la stumbleupon)? I'm thinking a javascript redirect with an animated timer (about 10 seconds or so) that lets the user know they're about to be redirected, but can click the link (the place where they'll eventually be redirected anyways) to speed up the process. Thoughts? Am I completely wrong?

• Like 1

Does http-equiv="refresh" just make the redirect more, for lack of a better term, legitimate? I assume a 301 redirect is just the wrong tool for the job then. I also assume the timer would just be a bit of code with the only function of being a timer which happens to end at the same time the meta refresh, refreshes.

The meta refresh works without Javascript, and has been around for as long as meta tags. A 301 is more for search engines these days, where you are telling them that something has moved permanently and that they should update their indexes. Don't use a 301 for something that hasn't moved permanently. You would use a 302 for a temporary redirect.

Sorry, I was ambiguous. :Pleased: I understand the meta tag doesn't need JS to do it's thing. Now that I know a meta refresh would be best, I just need to throw together a JS countdown that ends just as the meta refresh takes effect. Thanks justsomeguy, Ingolme.

Edited by Coaxsist