How to omit a list marker from just one list item?

JimTrail

Hello W3Schools Forums! Question: Is it proper coding technique to use the "list-style: none;" directive in the <li> tag instead of the <ul> tag. I am wanting to put a heading for a list. The heading does not need to have a list marker. I am using the list-style:none; directive in the <li> tag. I think that the list-style: none; directive is intended to be used in the <ul> tag - not the <lu> tag. However, it seems to work okay using it in the <li> tag. I am just wanting to make sure putting the list-style: none; directive in the <li> tag is proper because I don't want it to cause issues later on. Here is the style sheet code:ul{list-style-type: circle;} li.ListHead{list-style: none;} Here is the Html markup:<ul><li class="ListHead">Heading For List</li><li>List item one</li><li>List item three</li><li>List item two</li></ul> Here is the way it looks on the page:Heading For ListºList item oneºList item threeºList item two If the above is not proper code can someone tell me how to put a heading on a list of items where it complies with the rules? Thanks in advance.

There is nothing wrong with using list-type-style: none for a single <li>. I have done this a few times myself. However, from a accessibility point of view it may confuse those that uses screen readers. Ideally, you would use one of the sub heading tags instead (h2, h3, etc.)