how to make a background with css full with link (to cover a div?)

rootKID

Hello once again, i will do this one short, since i feel stupid asking about it, but its a must since i cannot remember, and might be a rookie question -.-'... anyhow, here is my css:

.chat_div_bottom_global_friend_list_button a:hover {   text-decoration:none;   color:#CDCDCD;   background-color:#900;  }  .chat_div_bottom_global_friend_list_button a:link,a:visited,a:active {   text-decoration:none;   color:#CDCDCD;  }

here is my html:

<span class='chat_div_bottom_global_chat_rooms_button'>  Chat Room (Public)</span>  <span class='chat_div_bottom_global_friend_list_button'>  <a href='#'>Friend list (0)</a></span>

now the question, i have a background to the link, but i would like that background, to cover the whole span if possible, any ideas? X)... [PICTURE ATTACHED]

For that to work, the link and the span need to have the same dimensions. That probably means setting their display property to block or inline-block. And that might mean that having both the span and the link is not necessary. I don't know why you need both, so I can't be sure, but maybe you need only the link. BTW, is the link really a link, or are you just using it to trigger some JavaScript? If the latter, you might not need a link. You might only need the span.

my original plans, was to create a kind of facebook chat combined with a shoutbox that both was ajax-based.. so first off, i would (by the friends) link, open up a kind of div-box above that link/line, and it will show the friends i have in my friend-list, and if they are online, i would be able to click on them, and an another box would appear with a private live chat with that person, exacly as facebook actually, just trying to make it more simpler somehow.. still working on the idea itself... that, and then about shoutbox, i hat plans on making something similar to I.P.Board forum chat module, a live-chat/shoutbox that can allow you to chat to everyone and anyone, like the new picture i attached also says on the left, public chat room. then click that, and a box will appear just like friends, BUT, in this box, i had plans on making a ''somehow'', a box to appear like the friends box, just with the shoutbox in there, and this box would appear right above the line, and centered... that was the plan, but like i said, im still working on the design as a start, and then code it after that... i also have plans on adding users to the chat, which i am sure if i remember right, also is possible to I.P.Board forum chat module, so i/user can see who is online IN the actual chat-box.. so, now you know my plan/idea... if that helps anyway X)... anyhow, why or how can i only use the span, as you say?... can i use the span as a link, so i could be opening the window above the line as i refer to above here?... PS: if you wonna have a detailed explanation, just say, it a little late right now, so not sure what im writing anyways X)... anyhow, talk to ya tomorrow, hoping an answer by then, if i did not fixed the damn problem myself :P...