Multiple actions in single if statement (how to separate?)

cerstrand_mace

I have this issue with a function where I want to execute 4 different actions inside an if statement. My code looks like this:

function deltagare(){var myTextField1 = document.getElementById('namn');var myTextField2 = document.getElementById('epost'); if(myTextField1.value != "" && myTextField2.value != "")document.getElementById("deltagare-list").value+=myTextField1.value+" "+"("+myTextField2.value+")"+"\n",document.getElementById("deltagare-emaillist").value+=myTextField2.value+",",document.getElementById('namn').value="",document.getElementById('epost').value=""; elsealert("Skriv in både namn och epost!"); }

In this way only the first action gets executed. How can I add the other ones properly?

You're supposed to use curly braces to make a code block. W3Schools even teaches it that way. I'm not sure where you learnt Javascript.

if(condition) {    Multiple    lines    of    code} else {    More    code}

You're supposed to use curly braces to make a code block. W3Schools even teaches it that way. I'm not sure where you learnt Javascript.
if(condition) {	Multiple	lines	of	code} else {	More	code}

OK, so I added the braces but it did't help. I still only get the first action. And YES I'm new to the whole Javascript shebang, hope that won't get my aid refused :)

I have no problem with your inexperience, everybody goes through a phase of learning and I'm glad to help. I just would like to talk with the people who taught you or provided you with the information you learnt from, teaching badly is a disservice to people. The problem you're experiencing after fixing the first mistake probably has to do with ending your lines with a comma (,) instead of a semi-colon( ; )

I have no problem with your inexperience, everybody goes through a phase of learning and I'm glad to help. I just would like to talk with the people who taught you or provided you with the information you learnt from, teaching badly is a disservice to people. The problem you're experiencing after fixing the first mistake probably has to do with ending your lines with a comma (,) instead of a semi-colon( ;)
I learn mostly by doing and googling by myself. I'm well aware of my need to get through the basics, but I just haven't had the time yet, sry for that :)Anyway, I'm VERY grateful for your help. I suspected that the semi-colons could be the problem but I've tried that too with no result. Any other ideas?Thank you!

If you can show the HTML you're using I can test it on my computer and see what's not working. I'll take a closer look at your current code until then. Update:Here's my test code and it's working:

<!DOCTYPE html><html>    <head>	    <script>	    function deltagare(){		    var myTextField1 = document.getElementById('namn');		    var myTextField2 = document.getElementById('epost');		    if(myTextField1.value != "" && myTextField2.value != "") {			    document.getElementById("deltagare-list").value+=myTextField1.value+" "+"("+myTextField2.value+")"+"\n";			    document.getElementById("deltagare-emaillist").value+=myTextField2.value+",";			    document.getElementById('namn').value="";			    document.getElementById('epost').value="";		    } else {			    alert("Skriv in både namn och epost!");		    }	    }	    </script>	    <title>Test</title>    </head>    <body>	    <div>		    <input type="text" id="namn">		    <input type="text" id="epost">		    <textarea id="deltagare-list"></textarea>		    <textarea id="deltagare-emaillist"></textarea>		    <input type="button" value="Test" onclick="deltagare();">	    </div>    </body></html>

Edited by Ingolme

If you can show the HTML you're using I can test it on my computer and see what's not working. I'll take a closer look at your current code until then. Update:Here's my test code and it's working:
<!DOCTYPE html><html>	<head>		<script>		function deltagare(){			var myTextField1 = document.getElementById('namn');			var myTextField2 = document.getElementById('epost'); 			if(myTextField1.value != "" && myTextField2.value != "") {				document.getElementById("deltagare-list").value+=myTextField1.value+" "+"("+myTextField2.value+")"+"\n";				document.getElementById("deltagare-emaillist").value+=myTextField2.value+",";				document.getElementById('namn').value="";				document.getElementById('epost').value="";			} else {				alert("Skriv in både namn och epost!");			}		}		</script>		<title>Test</title>	</head>	<body>		<div>			<input type="text" id="namn">			<input type="text" id="epost">			<textarea id="deltagare-list"></textarea>			<textarea id="deltagare-emaillist"></textarea>			<input type="button" value="Test" onclick="deltagare();">		</div>	</body></html>

http://scooper.se/novo/ama/ama-af-12/ See if you can make something out of this. The script is used to add names and email-adresses to a textarea (along with some other functions connected to a mail system). The textarea can be found in the form displayed by the button that says "Klicka här för anmälan".

You seem to be missing a textarea with the ID "deltagare-emaillist". I can't see it on the page, and the error console says it can't find the element either.Javascript normally stops executing when it encounters an error.

http://scooper.se/novo/ama/ama-af-12/ See if you can make something out of this. The script is used to add names and email-adresses to a textarea (along with some other functions connected to a mail system). The textarea can be found in the form displayed by the button that says "Klicka här för anmälan".
Your test-code works like a charm btw! So the problem must be somewhere else in my form-system.

You seem to be missing a textarea with the ID "deltagare-emaillist". I can't see it on the page, and the error console says it can't find the element either.Javascript normally stops executing when it encounters an error.
Yes! I must have made a very clumsy mistake somewhere on the way. Now it works fine! Thanks alot!