getting the value of radio button

jimfog

I want to get the value of the radio button the user selected and send that with JSON to the server.I am not interested in learning the JSON syntax to use-more or less I know that. I want to know how to "grab" the value of the radio button selected by the user. THis is the HTML:

<td> <label class="label" for="buztype">buztype</label><br></td>                                            <input type="radio" id="1"    name="buztype" value="1"> petshop<br>                      <input type="radio" id="2"     name="buztype" value="2"> salon spa <br>                      <input type="radio"  id="3"    name="buztype" value="3">medical <br>

What js code will be needed to accomplish the task described above?

This may be of some help: http://www.w3schools...dio_checked.asp Or you can try this: Say the id for the form above is: id="formBuzType"

var form = document.getElementById('formBuzType');	 // loop through the radio buttons to find which one is checked, then set var valueSelected to the value of the selected radio button	 for(var i = 0; i < form.buztype.length; i++)  // buztype is the name of the radio buttons which is an array; ie buztype[0].value is 1, buztype[1].value is 2, buztype[2].value is 3 based on what you have above.	 { 		  if(form.buztype[i].checked)		  {                       var valueSelected = form.buztype[i].value;		  } 	  }

Hope this helps.

Edited by Don E

The code you gave me does not work...it might be correct in itself but in the broader code context I think there is something wrong-see the whole code

$(function() {    $('.error').hide();    $("#savepersonal").click(function() {	    event.preventDefault();		 $('.error').hide(); 	 	    var name = $("input#name").val(); 	    if (name == "") { 	  $("label#name_error").show(); 	  $("input#name").focus(); 	  return false;     }       var lastname = $("input#lastname").val(); 	    if (lastname == "") { 	  $("label#lastname_error").show(); 	  $("input#lastname").focus(); 	  return false;     }var form = document.getElementById('formBuzType');         // loop through the radio buttons to find which one is checked, then set var valueSelected to the value of the selected radio button         for(var i = 0; i < form.buztype.length; i++)  // buztype is the name of the radio buttons which is an array; ie buztype[0].value is 1, buztype[1].value is 2, buztype[2].value is 3 based on what you have above.         {                   if(form.buztype[i].checked)                  {                       var valueSelected = form.buztype[i].value;                  }           }    	 $.ajax({	  type: "POST",	  url: "testajax.php",	  data: {"name":name,"lastname":lastname,"btype":valueSelected}	 });      return false;   	       });     }); 

Hey Jim, I'm not too familiar with jquery but the following code may give you insight on what you're probably missing in your code that's not allowing it work:

<!doctype html><html><head><meta charset="UTF-8"><title>Form radio button checking</title> <script type="text/javascript"> function checkValue() // if you pass the form, checkValue(form){      var form = document.getElementById('formBuzType'); // if you passed the form, you wouldn't need this line.     for(var i = 0; i < form.buztype.length; i++)     {          if(form.buztype[i].checked)          {          var selectedValue = form.buztype[i].value;          }      }       alert(selectedValue);     return false;}  </script>  </head> <body> <form id="formBuzType" method="post" action="#" onSubmit="return checkValue();" > <!-- you can pass the form here as well by doing: return checkValue(this);  --><input type="radio" id="1"    name="buztype" value="1"> petshop<br>    <input type="radio" id="2"     name="buztype" value="2"> salon spa <br>    <input type="radio"  id="3"    name="buztype" value="3">medical <br><input type="submit" value="Submit"/></form></body></html>