variables assigments

jimfog

To stick with as few variable names as possible I do this-not unusual:

$address=trim($_POST['address']); $address=filter_var($address, FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING);

The value of the address variable changes of course from one line of code to another.

Do you think there are negatives to the above coding scheme,using variables that way?

I just do in order not to mess with many variable names.

there is another side of the coin to consider in programming, and that is readability. These days, the benefits of trying to be as compact and trying smash things into one line aren't really necessary, so it doesn't hurt to spread things out so it's easier to read and follow what the code is doing.

there is another side of the coin to consider in programming, and that is readability. These days, the benefits of trying to be as compact and trying smash things into one line aren't really necessary, so it doesn't hurt to spread things out so it's easier to read and follow what the code is doing.

You did not say anything about my code. Is it a good practice to have the same name variable and just change its value where necessary.

If you're doing multiple string manipulations, it's probably best to use the same variable for it. Each variable is a pointer to a different space in memory, if you used different variables you'd have pieces of memory with half-processed strings that would remain there until the garbage collector came around.

I wouldn't recommend using the same variable name in two separate parts of the program because you might accidentally overwrite a value you needed.

Υou are clear now...thanks.