hosting for testing only

jimfog

I am building a web app and from time to time I need forum assistance and I have concluded that the best in this case is to upload to a public server the app so people can see the code and able to help me better.

The question is what exactly public server that should be. It will be only for testing and a production version of the site.

Should a I choose a hosting package or there is something better out there that would fit with the above case.

One thing you can do is, if you currently have hosting with a hosting company, for all your testing purposes for when you're developing a site etc, you can make a subdomain for that. So for example: testing.mysite.com. You would upload all the stuff you want to test to that subdomain and then link to that specific page when you need assistance, like: testing.mysite.com/testpage.php. You can develop/test the whole site in the subdomain if you want on your host server. It's good because that's how you know everything(your code, etc) is going to work on your host server when it comes time to officially publish/upload to the main domain(www.mysite.com).

If you're on shared hosting, making a subdomain is pretty easy via cPanel. You can also do it from your house on your home server(your computer where you have WAMP/LAMP/XAMPP installed on; not all those 3, just listing which one you may have installed depending on your OS). The problem with this is, you would have to configure your home network so that we can publicly see the site. I wouldn't go this route because it opens your computer to the world and you never know "who" will be reading your posts when you ask for help and they may look at it as a 'chance' to try take advantage of your computer/server.

So I'd go with the subdomain option.

It is a scheduling app and no I do not have a hosting package somewhere so I can create a subdomain.So, as I see it getting a hosting package is the only way.

I second Don E. suggestion. A good development server is must have for any good developer, IMO.Currently, I have a rackspace VPS that I use to run builds from my repos and act as a DEV environment for all my projects.Each project has its own hosting, of which I make a subdomain on it called stage.This way I can actively develop on my own (locally) and pre-test via my DEV environment, and then when I am ready to share with the client, I push to stage so they and I can preview it on their server to check for any environment issues and for testing.Once it's all good on stage, I push it production, which is essentially just the www or public_html folder of their server.

I second Don E. suggestion. A good development server is must have for any good developer, IMO.Currently, I have a rackspace VPS that I use to run builds from my repos and act as a DEV environment for all my projects.Each project has its own hosting, of which I make a subdomain on it called stage.This way I can actively develop on my own (locally) and pre-test via my DEV environment, and then when I am ready to share with the client, I push to stage so they and I can preview it on their server to check for any environment issues and for testing.Once it's all good on stage, I push it production, which is essentially just the www or public_html folder of their server.

So,summing it up. You develop the app locally and you also have a dev environment(hosting package)on a server for testing,and finally when everything is done you just move files to production folder.So,concluding,I must get a hosting server.I have one last question though...why VPS?Is it better suited for tested? Edited by jimfog

Yes, I prefer VPS because I can install anything I want on it, to assist with my development. Such as

• git, for my repositories
  • jenkins - for continuous integration
  • maven, node, grunt and any other related build tools to support continuous integration for my projects
  • good practice for maintaining environments and teaching myself commend line

Edited by thescientist

about that, but ultimately depends on your host, setup, and activity on the box.

For me I have a Performance 1 Flavor Class - 1GB instance (Linux).

http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/servers/pricing/

It's closer to $40 - $45 a month with a few dollars added on for server image / backup storage. I don't actively host sites (other than to test) so my bandwith usage / charges are negligible.

Edited by thescientist