Request.QueryString and Request.Form in SQL Query

rfiscus

notification = Request.Form("notification")notification1 = Request.QueryString("notification")

This works when submitting from a form

sSQL="SELECT top 1 * FROM [Data_Test].[dbo].[Table1],[Data_Test].[dbo].[Table2] where notification = '" & notification & "' and [Data_test].[dbo].[Table2].notification_number = notification"

This works submitting from a url as lookup.asp?notification=545455656

sSQL="SELECT top 1 * FROM [Data_Test].[dbo].[Table1],[Data_Test].[dbo].[Table2] where notification = '" & notification1 & "' and [Data_test].[dbo].[Table2].notification_number = notification"

This does not work with the or, if I use real numbers and test in SQL, it works fine.

sSQL="SELECT top 1 * FROM [Data_Test].[dbo].[Table1],[Data_Test].[dbo].[Table2] where (notification = '" & notification & "' or notification = '" & notification1 & "') and [Data_test].[dbo].[Table2].notification_number = notification"

Does anybody know why this would be? With the or, it fails submitting from the form and from a URL request string.

I get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e07'

Error converting data type varchar to numeric.

I would start by printing out the query to see what you're actually sending to SQL Server. It sounds like you are telling the server to compare a number and a string. I'm not sure how your table is set up, but if the notification column is a numeric column then do not surround the value with quotes. If notification_number is a numeric column, and notification is a varchar, then that's the problem. You're in a better position to determine which of those values are supposed to be numeric and which are supposed to be varchar since you know how the table is defined.

It is a Numeric (18, 0) field in the database, I've tried changing it to NVARCHAR (50) with the same result. The oddest part about the error is it doesn't occur if I use just the form or just the http query string, only when I put the or between them.

Heck with it, I just kept the two queries separate and added an If/Then clause, works like a charm.

If Request.Form("notification") <> "" ThensSQL="SELECT * FROM [Data].[dbo].[Table1],[Data].[dbo].[NOTIFICATIONS] where notification = '" & notification & "'  and [Data].[dbo].[Table2].notification_number = notification"ElsesSQL="SELECT * FROM [Data].[dbo].[Table1],[Data].[dbo].[NOTIFICATIONS] where notification = '" & notification1 & "'  and [Data].[dbo].[Table2].notification_number = notification"End If