JavaScript Tutorial and Reference

kaijim

Thanks for the links! I only have three module(count the one I'm on) on codeacademy with JavaScript. I came across his video searching through youtube video to find video on JavaScript, but pass him up cause of the fact I felt it'll be more of a lecture than an engage hearing list-in-on(I need something that going to keep my attention.) I already came across that online book, which didn't really seem to lay the basic for me as a tutorial for JavaScript... but might have been cause of the layout not being pleasant to me, but I'll go back at it ones I have a strong foundation to stand on of JavaScript and it's building blocks.Again Thank you, I appreciate the fact of you doing something that you didn't have to do. I will check out some of those videos and see about that online book again. As I said, I wish to have a basic understanding, a strong foundation of JavaScript become I even move on to anything else. That include advance JavaScript.Again, thank you.

A framework like ExtJS?

Like jQuery but written in only JavaScript... If you can give more detail if you feel as if my understanding isn't all there... which it isn't.

jQuery is written only in Javascript. You are free to download jQuery and read through the source. Browsers only understand Javascript as a scripting language, with the exception of IE that also supports VBScript.

jQuery is written only in Javascript. You are free to download jQuery and read through the source. Browsers only understand Javascript as a scripting language, with the exception of IE that also supports VBScript.

But jQuery isn't writing as JavaScript is writing. I want to learn JavaScript, even know I like how jQuery look, and enjoy learning it. But I want to have JavaScript as my foundation, not a form of JavaScript which is easier to understand, but the actually language of JavaScript.Beside that question could you also explain more in detail of the responses you gave me of jQuery, even know I know... I still would like more information on your part. If not, than please responses to the repost to the question that have a little more detail above this.Thank you again, I do appreciate you taking your time out to reply to my nobs question... Wizard.. or warlock(eyes go back and forth with dramatic music playing).Also a brief info on VBscript. You don't have to, I rather not get on any other scripting language but JavaScript for now, after I'm comfortable and confident that I know JavaScript's basic and intermediate. To where I can move on to advance easy. Next language is serve side scripting PHP. Edited by L8V2L

Saying you want "learn Javascript" is a rather broad statement. You can spend time on many areas of Javascript usage, such as those associated with every element of HTML5, or DOM manipulation, or traditional form validation, or Javascript OOP constructs. One stage of learning a language is to learn every command in the language. Have you done that?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x85xxsf4%28v=vs.90%29.aspx

• Like 1

But jQuery isn't writing as JavaScript is writing.

All jQuery syntax is legal Javascript syntax. It has to be, because the only thing the browser understands is Javascript. jQuery code just uses features that aren't common in vanilla Javascript, like closures and JSON objects being passed to functions. It's all legal Javascript though. When I first started seeing the Javascript toolkits that people were making I was initially very confused, because they all used "$". I thought that $ was some operator or class in Javascript that I had never heard of, but it's not true. $ is just a valid variable name. You could write your own code to use it.
var $ = 'test';alert($);
I would highly recommend not using arbitrary symbols as variable names, because they don't provide any hint on what the variable is for and they make the code look confusing. But trying to figure out those libraries and toolkits finally clicked for me when I realized that $ was just an identifier like any other function or variable name.For what it's worth, I would recommend to stay away from jQuery or any other library while you're learning. Learn vanilla Javascript, once you know that you will be able to figure out how things like jQuery work. Besides, Vanilla Javascript is fast. There's no reason to add all of the bloat of something like jQuery just to have a different way to get an element by ID or class name. jQuery just slows your code down. It might make certain things faster to write, but you pay for that in execution speed. Like you can see from that site, getting an element by ID using jQuery is about 35 times slower than using document.getElementById. Getting elements by tag name is 425 times slower using jQuery. If you're using jQuery, then your application better be highly complex and needing to work on 99% of browsers. Otherwise, use vanilla JS. Your browser already supports it.

Also a brief info on VBscript.

Just forget that VBScript exists. If you find a VBScript developer, make fun of them. Anything that VBScript can do, Javascript can do better. That way you're not stuck trying to do complex and important things using a language whose primary design goal was to be easy to learn.

Saying you want "learn Javascript" is a rather broad statement. You can spend time on many areas of Javascript usage, such as those associated with every element of HTML5, or DOM manipulation, or traditional form validation, or Javascript OOP constructs. One stage of learning a language is to learn every command in the language. Have you done that? https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x85xxsf4(v=vs.90).aspx

All jQuery syntax is legal Javascript syntax. It has to be, because the only thing the browser understands is Javascript. jQuery code just uses features that aren't common in vanilla Javascript, like closures and JSON objects being passed to functions. It's all legal Javascript though. When I first started seeing the Javascript toolkits that people were making I was initially very confused, because they all used "$". I thought that $ was some operator or class in Javascript that I had never heard of, but it's not true. $ is just a valid variable name. You could write your own code to use it.

var $ = 'test';alert($);
I would highly recommend not using arbitrary symbols as variable names, because they don't provide any hint on what the variable is for and they make the code look confusing. But trying to figure out those libraries and toolkits finally clicked for me when I realized that $ was just an identifier like any other function or variable name.For what it's worth, I would recommend to stay away from jQuery or any other library while you're learning. Learn vanilla Javascript, once you know that you will be able to figure out how things like jQuery work. Besides, Vanilla Javascript is fast. There's no reason to add all of the bloat of something like jQuery just to have a different way to get an element by ID or class name. jQuery just slows your code down. It might make certain things faster to write, but you pay for that in execution speed. Like you can see from that site, getting an element by ID using jQuery is about 35 times slower than using document.getElementById. Getting elements by tag name is 425 times slower using jQuery. If you're using jQuery, then your application better be highly complex and needing to work on 99% of browsers. Otherwise, use vanilla JS. Your browser already supports it.Just forget that VBScript exists. If you find a VBScript developer, make fun of them. Anything that VBScript can do, Javascript can do better. That way you're not stuck trying to do complex and important things using a language whose primary design goal was to be easy to learn.

Thanks for that link. I feel somewhat vindicated about concentrating on JS rather than the multitude of libraries and frameworks.

THANKS JUSTSOMEGUY, YOU MAY BE JUST SOME GUY, BUT YOU THE GUY! Thank you for such the detail reply, I enjoy with excitement reading what you wrote... Don't think cause your amazing... Which you are but that's not why. I want to understand, I want to know, jQuery seem awesome, but to my prospective, it's more of a child or a some what short cut way to writing JavaScript. And I don't want that, I want to learn JavaScript, if I need to use such framework, I want to use them, after I understand JavaScript foundation, and intermediate, to where I can just going into advance. So if I ever need to use such frameworks, I want to do so cause I don't really feel like typing up something I could just copy and paste... Which will be NEVER!!!! The only thing closely to copy and paste I'll do, is use it as a guide to rewrite it as of how I want it to look and act. JavaScript is a language, and as all other language program coded and non-coded, there is many ways to say one thing, but not entirely true, for how it couvade when said. So... Yeah!!!!Thanks!!!!!! Appreciate it, as always!Here something you might like to watch, very educational and insightful:
Edited by L8V2L

How you feel about these justsomeguy and anyone else.coffescriptAmber SmalltalkHaxeDartOpaTypeScript, an open-source, strict superset of Javascript language from Microsoft.Rapydscript,[20] a translator with a more Pythonic syntaxLiveScriptGorillascript, which offers additional type checking and syntactic sugar for common JS patterns such as inline callbacks

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

JavaScript is a very important language for developers to learn. JavaScript is included in almost every website in these day. You can say that without JavaScript our sites are not that attractive. So you have to lear how to code in JavaSript. Learn and you can do a lot of fun things in your websites.

• 1 year later...
Hello & Thanks ,

A javascript Tutorial for BenghaziGame :

I just wanted to let you know that I have written a

javascript tutorial for my BenghaziGame ,

and to thank all you folks on this Forum

who have helped me to convert this game to javascript .

Benghazi Game is a shoot 'em up political satire browser game .

But instead of bullets ,

we throw cowpies at politicians when we see them lying .

How do we know when they are lying ?

When their noses turn into long carrot noses , they are lying .

The Tutorial game begins here :

I have also posted the whole Tutorial for download here :

My disclaimer:

I am going to let w3schools.com do most of the heavy lifting ,

and use their GameTutorial resources to do the explaining on specific keywords .

Here is a list of their web pages that we will be using:

and more as the need arises .

Thanks...Vern

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

hi

i am not sure if this is the right place to place a new query of javascript code.

but because i am new at this forum so bare with me?

i have a code that have two buttons one hide the other show but what they do is to hide and show

<p> tag is there a way to show and hide an image using this code

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>
<head>
<script>
$(document).ready(function(){
$("#hide").click(function(){
$("p").hide();
});
$("#show").click(function(){
$("p").show();
});
});
</script>
</head>
<body>
<p> jj</p>
<button id="hide">Hide</button>
<button id="show">Show</button>
</body>
</html>
thanks

• 5 months later...

Hello.

I've just started learning JavaScript and I've found some websites where an image dinamically changes when you scroll down the page and a paragraph goes trough the image.

Here there is an example (it is a wordpress' theme)(it doesn't work on mobile phones or tablet)

https://wordpress.com/theme/twentyseventeen

How can I do this? Whit JavaScript?

Edited by Allaiuzzu

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, ash94 said:

Hello,

On the link below, why does the replace strings() sections first example sentence not begin with "var"

image.thumb.png.6b96e5804ce8a92041aec91b6d90413e.png

https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_string_methods.asp

It looks like a mistake. You can let the staff know by clicking the "REPORT ERROR" button at the bottom of that page.