Database

L8V2L

GET is used to request a file from a server. Ideally a GET request to one particular URL will always return the exact same thing, in practise it doesn't always work that way.

POST sends data to a server to be processed.

HEAD requests a file from the server. The server does not return a message body, only HTTP headers.

PUT tells the server to put a file in the specified URL.

DELETE tells the server to delete a particular file.

OPTIONS is too complicated to explain in a sentence and you're never going to need it. See a full description here: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.2

You can specify HTTP methods in Javascript when making an AJAX request. You can use PHP's cUrl library to send HTTP requests with PHP. You'll almost always be using just GET and POST.

• Like 1

Anyone else?!?!?Thank you Ingolme. I read that page from option down--kinda skip option partial--.It doesn't matter if it worded differently but mean the same as Ingolme post. I'm trying to get the underlining concept. Yes you may see it as a simple understanding. But my mind is parietal blind to it. For I need sight... I need to be giving sight.

Edited by L8V2L

this is the same issue we have everytime you ask these questions. what don't you get? please be specific with your questions. try doing some googling, find some blogs, read what they say, try and spend some time filling in the gaps. You really need to do this first.

http://katgleason.tumblr.com/post/37836552900/how-i-explained-rest-to-my-wife

• Like 1

So.... Give me another view point, I feel like I'm getting close to clarity.On another note:When programing on the server side, you think of all you are setting up toward/for the client to interact with. For example:GET - say there's a get function that correspond with the http's GET. When setting the get function, are you setting it up for you or the client--this is where mostly I'm getting confuse, the context-- or are you setting it up for you? --I'm guessing the client, but I need clarity--The same goes for POST, DELETE, PUT.

Edited by L8V2L

There aren't viewpoints in science. Things are what they are regardless of who is looking at it, which is why it shouldn't make a difference where you're getting the definitions from.

HTTP is a networking protocol. It doesn't occur on the client or on the server, it's communication between them. The client sends an HTTP request, the server sends an HTTP response.

you are free to define your API however you want. You can follow the protocal / spec to the letter or you don't. Obviously it makes more sense to and is clearer in intent and practice.

i know you have aversions, but maybe read a book but you really need to learn how to make an attempt to learn on your own.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596529260.do

I still don't really get what you don't "get", pardon the pun.

• Like 1

you are free to define your API however you want. You can follow the protocal / spec to the letter or you don't. Obviously it makes more sense to and is clearer in intent and practice. i know you have aversions, but maybe read a book but you really need to learn how to make an attempt to learn on your own. http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596529260.do I still don't really get what you don't "get", pardon the pun.

you are free to define your API however you want. You can follow the protocal / spec to the letter or you don't. Obviously it makes more sense to and is clearer in intent and practice. i know you have aversions, but maybe read a book but you really need to learn how to make an attempt to learn on your own. http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596529260.do I still don't really get what you don't "get", pardon the pun.

Thanks for the link. I have no aversion of learning from books. I have a collection of them now. Oreilly site don't give much information on the book they showcase. Amazon do give such information and plus reviews are more likely to be there. I found this book: RESTful Web APIsI'm currently reading a couple of books right now. I wanted to get this in passing. Waiting eureka to hit me with clarity.... I'll study more on using the client side xhr. If you could give me example and use that to explain to me the protocols. I'll be grateful. If not, I'm grateful for all you done so far. Thank you.

This is so ironical. Okay so I was trying to get some resource to gather on JSON database, counchdb let me query using JavaScript. So on this particular page on there site: http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/intro/api.htmlIt link me to w3c http protocols page, and that restful web service book.JSG, there are database design to store data in JSON format.Would it still be dangerous for me to use them?

Yes, this database saves and retrieves information in JSON format. In order to use it you have to query the database with HTTP requests. The request tells the database what to search for. You must have prior knowledge of HTTP to use this mechanism.

CouchDB is a type of database called NoSQL. These databases can store more complex structures than ordinary tabular databases and are useful when there are very complex relations between elements. This article explans NoSQL databases, their advantages and disadvantages, and lists some places where NoSQL databases are used:

http://hebrayeem.blogspot.ca/2014/01/making-sense-of-nosql.html

"Dangerous" isn't the problem. The problem is whether the database is suitable for your task or not. You haven't even described what kind of application you intend to use. For CouchDB, you have to install that on your server, most web hosts won't start off with support for it

Ingolme!ConclusionNoSQL databases are becoming an increasingly important part of the database landscape, and when used appropriately, can offer real benefits, but NoSQL database is not a solution to each and every application. Tradition RDBMs will always be around and in use for a very long time, you just have to choose the one that best fit your needs.Bottom line is that I wish to work with XML and JSON database cause I just want to learn them, and become an expert of them.... But if... If SQL style database better suit my needs... Let's go over what type of data I be storing... Web page information, while using xslt to create the layout of each page--I desire to store this in a native XML database, basex preferability--. User information store in JSON native database, I'll have a market too for selling items since it's a game application--this either in XML or JSON.. Since this information will be displayed in the site... There are means to transforming JSON to XML and bed verse so... Need to think on it for a while. But I'm feeling JSON for that too--.

Edited by L8V2L

JSG, yes, you're right, I'm making things complicated for myself.... So... I know it depend on my needs and what's better suit me.But people have been using relational database when it would have been better to use oriented database. I'm more so pointing at the time when NoSQL didn't exist. So with that said, I should be okay with XML native database...I'm going to use a native XML database for everything. User, and my webpage.But I'mma also play with JSON database and SQL database too, so I can have that under my belt.How does that sound?

Edited by L8V2L

There's no problem with experimenting with new things, in fact you should be doing that. If you want to design an application that uses 3 different types of databases, that's fine as long as it's a learning exercise. I wouldn't put something like that into production without knowing that you are using exactly the right tool in every situation. Many large sites do quite well by combining something like a traditional relational database with something like memcached or redis which is used to hold specific kinds of data (non-important data that needs to be available quickly). But the people designing those sites designed them with all of their experience in mind. You don't have experience yet, so it's fine if you want to play around with various things but when you go to create an actual site that people will use I would suggest sticking with a single kind of data store until you have more experience with what works well and what doesn't.

There's no problem with experimenting with new things, in fact you should be doing that. If you want to design an application that uses 3 different types of databases, that's fine as long as it's a learning exercise. I wouldn't put something like that into production without knowing that you are using exactly the right tool in every situation. Many large sites do quite well by combining something like a traditional relational database with something like memcached or redis which is used to hold specific kinds of data (non-important data that needs to be available quickly). But the people designing those sites designed them with all of their experience in mind. You don't have experience yet, so it's fine if you want to play around with various things but when you go to create an actual site that people will use I would suggest sticking with a single kind of data store until you have more experience with what works well and what doesn't.

Yeah. BaseX also hold JSON data from what I read, but XML is more... Mature. I do plan on learn php and SQL, but since I'm so fond of these three --JS, XML, CSS--, I wish to develop my skills in these first. And move on to programming language like c, c++, and objective-c. But not c#, it's design by Microsoft. Objective-c or c++ I believe was design by apple. They say c# is close to syntax of java.

Objective-c or c++ I believe was design by apple.

Or you could just look it up instead of being unsure. Objective-C was deigned by Apple. It's a pretty important distinction.

Or you could just look it up instead of being unsure. Objective-C was deigned by Apple. It's a pretty important distinction.

:,-( why must... Yes you're right. Edited by L8V2L

Gzip/Gunzip, Deflate/Inflate, read over these two, but can't seem to find information on this one; DeflateRaw/InflateRaw. Anyone care to explain?