asp and formatting

mfarrell

how or why does this asp NOT format correctly on the web page?

<!DOCTYPE html>  <head>    <HTML>
<form method="post" action="welcome.asp">
First Name: <input type="text" name="fname" value="">
Last Name: <input type="text" name="lname" value="">
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>
<font face="MS Gothic">
<%
fname=Request.form("fname")
lname=Request.form("lname")
response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")
response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")
%>

<BODY> <This page was last refreshed on <%= Now() %>. </BODY> </HTML> <body> <body> <% response.write("Hello World!") %> <% fname=Request.form("fname") lname=Request.form("lname") response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>") response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>") %> <% fname=Request.querystring("fname") lname=Request.querystring("lname") response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>") response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>") %> </body> </html>

The form appears to write to the welcome.asp file, yet the output is only the code not the input...??? so many questions

Well, for starters, it looks like your page has a structure like this:

<!doctype><head><html><form>...</form><font><body>...</body></html><body><body>...</body></html>
Obviously major problems with that structure, review the HTML tutorials to figure out where to put the various pieces. Other than that, I'm not sure what this means:

the output is only the code not the input

Well, for starters, it looks like your page has a structure like this:

<!doctype><head><html><form>...</form><font><body>...</body></html><body><body>...</body></html>
Obviously major problems with that structure, review the HTML tutorials to figure out where to put the various pieces. Other than that, I'm not sure what this means:

what I mean is this is what shows up when I view the page in explorer...

First this

Second version using stored functionTotal Head Calculate Heard Total Head =    Milking Head =    Young Stock =    First Name:  Last Name:   

a copy and paste from the page doesn't grab the submit buttons...

However once the data is entered and submitted; the page returns :

<!DOCTYPE html>  <head>    <HTML>   <BODY>   <This page was last refreshed on <%= Now() %>.   </BODY> </HTML> <body><body><%response.write("Hello World!")%><%fname=Request.form("fname")lname=Request.form("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%><%fname=Request.querystring("fname")lname=Request.querystring("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%>  </body></html>

so, while the form and the buttons appear to work...what ASP is returning bears no resemblance the neatly formatted response form the sample pages I'm studying?

I get the feeling they are not showing everything.

This is why I wanted you to show us heard_sizer.html. Your whole approach is non-standard. You can't insert a body into a body. You can only have one head and one body in a document.

No matter what you do the document must be in this general form...

<!DOCTYPE html><html> <head> ... </head> <body> ... </body></html>

This is why I wanted you to show us heard_sizer.html. Your whole approach is non-standard. You can't insert a body into a body. You can only have one head and one body in a document.

at this point I'm not even concerned with heard sizer......

<%response.write("Hello World!")%><%fname=Request.form("fname")lname=Request.form("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%><%fname=Request.querystring("fname")lname=Request.querystring("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%>

I want to know why this doesn't format, or appear to work correctly at all...and it is a direct copy and paste from a tutorial...

Try...

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta charset="utf-8"><title>tab</title></head><body><%response.write("Hello World!")%><%fname=Request.form("fname")lname=Request.form("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%><%fname=Request.querystring("fname")lname=Request.querystring("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%></body></html>

...but I suspect that each of your code lines needs to end with a semi-colon.

Try...

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><meta charset="utf-8"><title>tab</title></head><body><%response.write("Hello World!")%><%fname=Request.form("fname")lname=Request.form("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%><%fname=Request.querystring("fname")lname=Request.querystring("lname")response.write("<p>Hello " & fname & " " & lname & "!</p>")response.write("<p>Welcome to my Web site!</p>")%></body></html>

...but I suspect that each of your code lines needs to end with a semi-colon.

even with ASP? and not how it was show on thee tutorial page??? man this stuff sure lacks transparency at least if one is just starting to learn and apply it

I copy and paste directly the example from those links....the formatting DOES NOT follow through to the web page.

this is what I copy and paste and save to new document:

<%@ language="javascript"%><!DOCTYPE html><html><body><%Response.Write("Hello World!")%></body></html>

this is what I see on web page....

<%@ language="javascript"%> <% ccID="63" Response.Write("Hello World!") %>

Not to be too obtuse...how about post a sample that actually maintains formatting when viewed in browser? Because so far not one single example I am finding on the web translates into a usable result.

ZERO

this is what I see on web page...

See how? As a visible rendered result? As a "view source" result? You have these files loaded onto a server? Are you sure the server supports classic ASP?

See how? As a visible rendered result? As a "view source" result? You have these files loaded onto a server?

when I try to preview in Chrome or IE the results bear no resemblance to a formatted web page as I have tried to show....

this is why I am asking for a sample that IS formatted and WILL display correctly in browser window....as NOTHING I have found on web will directly copy and paste AND display as they show them on the various tutorial sites..it is as there is some small piece of information INTENTIONALLY being left out.

post-180294-0-72569900-1422983337_thumb.png

post-180294-0-27697900-1422983346_thumb.png

You are experimenting with server-side code that requires a server. ASP is server-side code. Are you uploading the files to a remote server or are you using IIS on your computer? The server executes the code to produce a rendered result. Server-side code is not visible in the browser.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725762.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731911.aspx

If you are seeing the ASP code in the browser then your server is not executing the ASP code. Make sure you are using a web server that actually supports ASP, and that your file has a .asp extension (not .html).

pretty sure I enabled IIS prior to trying the ASP code.....which browser(s) would work as

NOTHING shows up in Explorer (IE) and only poorly formatted copy of original code shows in Chrome?

One would think that both of them would support ASP pages? If not the two biggest browsers then who?

Edited by mfarrell

Any browser will work, browsers do not need to support any server-side technology. Make sure you are using a URL that starts with http: when you are accessing that file. Double-clicking on it or using a file: URL will not work.

Any browser will work, browsers do not need to support any server-side technology. Make sure you are using a URL that starts with http: when you are accessing that file. Double-clicking on it or using a file: URL will not work.

copying the files to the inetpub folder still yields the same as previous...only change is web address....

can NO ONE post a sample of ASP that actually maintains it's formatting?

And again NOTHING I can find anywhere on the web actually works to return 'formatted' text on a web page, even the simple "Hello World" statments fail to display as formatted text minus the ASP code and code tags <% ffljhf;fh;sflflahff;alslsfsldff%>

I can learn a lot from what DOES work, more than I can links to stuff that fails exactly as my code attempts fail

Edited by mfarrell

That isn't what you are seeking, for example with the code below you want to see Hello World.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><body><%response.write("<h1>Hello World!</h1>");%></body></html>

That isn't what you are seeking, for example with the code below you want to see Hello World.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><body><%response.write("<h1>Hello World!</h1>");%></body></html>

You are right it is NOT what I am after....a copy and paste of your code directly into a new empty file....a SAVE AS

to test3.asp

yields the exact same loss of formatting....

<% ccID="34" response.write(" Hello World! "); %>

how do people post all these bogus examples that DO NOT work? And this isn't directed at you specifically....just a general question about ALL the examples littering the Internet that DO NOT WORK!

Edited by mfarrell

A basic Response.write("Hello World") like davej showed you cannot possibly fail.

IT does fail to retain proper formatting....did you read what I posted?

I did not say it failed to function....it doesn't stay formatted such to remain useful - unless ugly web pages are an acceptable result of using ASP?

<% ccID="34" response.write(" Hello World! "); %>

is what shows in the browser window - WHY?

Edited by mfarrell

You are not asking the right questions. Your question has exactly ZERO to do with "formatting". Your only problem is that your server is not even executing the code in the first place. If it were, you would not see any ASP code at all, regardless of "formatting", you would only see the RESULT of the ASP code (what it outputs). That's what threw me off about your question, you're talking about formatting and how the text looks when the problem is that you're not even executing the code in the first place. You need to research how to configure IIS to execute ASP and how to make that happen, because that is what the problem is. The URL in your browser should start with http://localhost/ in order for the web server to respond and invoke the ASP processor.
<%@LANGUAGE="JSCRIPT"%><% Response.Write("Test 1<br>");for (var i = 0; i < 10; i++) {  Response.Write(i + "<br>");}%>
If you can run that and see anything except "Test 1" followed by the numbers 0 through 9, then your server IS NOT executing the ASP code.

You are not asking the right questions. Your question has exactly ZERO to do with "formatting". Your only problem is that your server is not even executing the code in the first place. If it were, you would not see any ASP code at all, regardless of "formatting", you would only see the RESULT of the ASP code (what it outputs). That's what threw me off about your question, you're talking about formatting and how the text looks when the problem is that you're not even executing the code in the first place. You need to research how to configure IIS to execute ASP and how to make that happen, because that is what the problem is. The URL in your browser should start with http://localhost/ in order for the web server to respond and invoke the ASP processor.

<%@LANGUAGE="JSCRIPT"%><% Response.Write("Test 1<br>");for (var i = 0; i < 10; i++) {  Response.Write(i + "<br>");}%>
If you can run that and see anything except "Test 1" followed by the numbers 0 through 9, then your server IS NOT executing the ASP code.

it returns

Test 10123456789

so the server IS running....what is NOT working from other examples is the returned formatting....