best editor ?

wissam11

I cannot actually say any one editor is the best. People just get used to one they like. I use Notepad++ because I'm used to it.

There's an interesting one called Brackets. It's better at auto-indenting that Notepad++ and can have extensions installed.

SublimeText is pretty popular because of its ability to have multiple cursors at once. It not free and costs $70 but you can use a free version that reminds you to buy it every once in a while.

Github has its own editor called Atom, similar to SublimeText. It's designed to not need to use the mouse, everything can be done with keyboard shortcuts. Like Brackets and SublimeText you can choose create a project to quickly switch between files, a feature Notepad++ doesn't have out of the box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last release of Frontpage was 11 years ago. It is not good, it will not create a website that is compliant in any way. I would also not recommend Dreamweaver to anyone who actually wants to understand how the website works. There's no substitute for actually writing the code yourself.

• Like 1

What about Bootstrap? Has anyone tried that? Is that more like Dreamweaver or Notepad?

I learned the old HTML, the original in notepad, but am now learning the new HTML5 and CSS3 and am sooooooooooo confused. My most recent version of Dreamweaver is 6, so you see, I need something newer. I know how to write the old stuff, but need something that will do the new for me. I have taken online classes, and know how to dissect, remove, add code to a page. My website has not changed much since 2002. I really want an editor to help me. Dreamweaver helped me back then, but it is so expensive! So, how does Bootstrap compare to that or is there another one out there to download free that is similar, like on tucows?

What about Bootstrap? Has anyone tried that? Is that more like Dreamweaver or Notepad?

Neither, Dreamweaver and Notepad are both for editing code. Bootstrap is a set of Javascript and CSS code that you can use as the foundation for a site. Bootstrap is code, not a program to write code.I personally use Sublime Text for most code editing, or PHPStorm when specifically working with PHP/Zend Framework projects.
  • Like 1

Thank you. I have no idea what PHP/Zend Framework projects are. But you answered my bootstrap question.

Hmmmmm. The person that told me about PHP said he didn't use HTML5 or CSS3 but used, I think he said Azure...Does that sound right?

No. I have been working with web technologies for 10 years and never touched anything called "Azure".

You cannot display a web page without HTML and CSS. You cannot manipulate data without a programming language such as PHP. That is why PHP, HTML and CSS are all necessary.

• Like 1

OK, I think I have it now concerning the PHP, HTML5 and CSS3, oh and Azure also. Thank you Ingolme and scout1idf.

Azure is cloud computing platform by Microsoft (think like AWS).

Technically you could develop a PHP application that does not deal with any HTML / CSS in cases like

1. a (RESTful) API
  2. running cron job / tasks
  3. networking / filesystem utilities for the server

Aside from 1, most of these are very limited and narrow in scope. I personally prefer to decouple the front and the back end as much as possible, so for my apps the two (PHP and HTML/CSS) will never co-mingle. The front end application will make Ajax requests to the back end API and let the UI handle the presentation requirements.

LOL thescientist....I have no idea what you just said, but I do believe I should stick to HTML5 / CSS3....I think...hahahehe...