Favorite HTML Editors

Kcarson

Title: NotepadPrice: FreePlatform: WindowsDescription:Simple, and free program that provides a helpful, and light inviroment for HTML, whilst having a functioning 'tab' button.
Oh come on, there's nothing helpful about Notepad. The only thing "helpful" is that it doesn't screw up what you write. But it definately doesn't help you.

I'll add another that I like:Name: EclispePrice: FREEPlatform: Windows, Mac, Linux, Sun Solaris, or anything that runs Java.Web Site: http://www.eclipse.org/Description: Eclipse is an open source community whose projects are focused on building an open development platform comprised of extensible frameworks, tools and runtimes for building, deploying and managing software across the lifecycle. A large and vibrant ecosystem of major technology vendors, innovative start-ups, universities, research institutions and individuals extend, complement and support the Eclipse platform.Along with my favorite extension, http://www.cfeclipse.org, I'm warming up to a new development environment. Beats paying for Dreamweaver again.

Oh come on, there's nothing helpful about Notepad. The only thing "helpful" is that it doesn't screw up what you write. But it definately doesn't help you.
I have used Notepad since I was 7, and it has never let me down.Two helpful things is that 1. Is doesn't throw things at you, like when your trying to write some Javascript, it doesn't try and write it for you (and get it wrong). 2. It doesn't produce huge sources, and, unlike frontpage, where if you 'nudge' an object left a bit, it doesn't write 10 lines of script which you don't want, since there is no viewing screen to 'nudge' objects on.

Two helpful things is that 1. Is doesn't throw things at you, like when your trying to write some Javascript, it doesn't try and write it for you (and get it wrong). 2. It doesn't produce huge sources, and, unlike frontpage, where if you 'nudge' an object left a bit, it doesn't write 10 lines of script which you don't want, since there is no viewing screen to 'nudge' objects on.
Exactly, neither of those are *helpful*. It is not considered helpful for something to avoid doing something that would make things worse. For example, you wouldn't say about someone "he was really nice, because he didn't shoot me in the face". The act of refraining from doing something harmful is not considered helpful. Being helpful is taking actions that help the user, it is not refraining from taking actions that make it more difficult for the user.If you want an example of a helpful text editor, look in my signature and download ConTEXT. It doesn't write code for you unless you explicitly tell it to (and, even then, it's code that you yourself wrote previously), but it does syntax color all of your code, you can set it to auto-indent, you can record macros, etc etc. There are a ton of features that are truly helpful, which means that they make development time shorter. Notepad doesn't do any of that, it just saves text files.

If you want an example of a helpful text editor, look in my signature and download ConTEXT. It doesn't write code for you unless you explicitly tell it to (and, even then, it's code that you yourself wrote previously), but it does syntax color all of your code, you can set it to auto-indent, you can record macros, etc etc. There are a ton of features that are truly helpful, which means that they make development time shorter. Notepad doesn't do any of that, it just saves text files.
ConTEXT sounds good, but, does it have a viewing screen, like in frontpage (which I avoid at all cost)? If it doesn't I may consider downloading it.

I think it's time to consolidate these two topics:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=760That topic has really taken over the function of this topic, and so, any further discussion of HTML editors can go there. Thanks.