can not INSERT INTO getting a error.

jaylow

Hello, i am having issues adding info to a database

i have a html from where a user should fill in charname and select ###### then press submit.

if i do this i get the error

ERROR:could not able to execute INSERT INTO character(charname, ######, xp, gold, accdate) VALUES(jay, male, 0, 100000, now()).You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'character(charname, ######, xp, gold, accdate) VALUES(jay, male, 0, 100000, now())' at line 1

<?php    include_once 'db_connect.php';    include_once 'psl-config.php';         $error_msg = "";    $now = time();	    // check connection    if($mysqli === false){        die("ERROR: Could not connect. " . mysqli_connect_error());    }	// Escape user inputs for security    $charname = mysqli_real_escape_string($mysqli, $_POST['charname']);    $###### = mysqli_real_escape_string($mysqli, $_POST['######']);        //attempt inser quesry execution    $sql = "INSERT INTO character (charname, ######, gold, xp, accdate) VALUES ($charname, $######, 100000, 0, now())";    if(mysqli_query($mysqli, $sql)){        echo "Records added successfully.";    } else{        echo " ERROR:could not able to execute $sql." .mysqli_error($mysqli);    }        // close connection    mysqli_close($mysqli);    ?>

Table

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `character` (  `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,  `charname` varchar(30) NOT NULL,  `######` tinyint(4) NOT NULL,  `gold` int(11) NOT NULL,  `xp` int(11) NOT NULL,  `accdate` timestamp NOT NULL,  PRIMARY KEY (`id`)) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=1 ;

I was wondering if some one could explain me what i do wrong, and or have some tips how to make this better.

the idea is to add a check to see in the "charname" is already used.

and some other stuff. but first i like to see the info end up in my DB

Thanks

Your problem is that you forgot to wrap your strings in quotation marks.

"INSERT INTO character (charname, ######, gold, xp, accdate) VALUES ('$charname', '$######', 100000, 0, now())";
  • Like 1

now i am getting the error:

ERROR:could not able to execute INSERT INTO character (charname, ######, gold, xp, accdate) VALUES ('sam', 'male', 100000, 0, now()).You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'character (charname, ######, gold, xp, accdate) VALUES ('sam', 'male', 100000, 0, n' at line 1

making me think the "now()" has a issue. i tried quotation marks around it but did not help

$sql = "INSERT INTO character (charname, ######, gold, xp, accdate) VALUES ('$charname', '$######', 100000, 0, now())";