XMLHttpRequest Order Shuffled

beennn

I am trying to fetch some images from a server, however I need them to come back in the order requested. Currently, the below returns the images back in a seemingly random order, I guess which ever are finished first. How can I ensure I get the images back in the order they were requested?

var xhr = [];for (i = 0; i < count; i++){	(function (i){			xhr[i] = new XMLHttpRequest();		xhr[i].open( "GET", url + dir + "/" + i.toString() + ".png", true );		xhr[i].responseType = "arraybuffer";				xhr[i].onreadystatechange = function () {							if (xhr[i].readyState == 4 && xhr[i].status == 200) {							var arrayBufferView = new Uint8Array( xhr[i].response );				var blob = new Blob( [ arrayBufferView ], { type: "image/png" } );							console.log("xhr: " + i + ".png");							}					};				xhr[i].send();			})(i);	}
I want it to always output:
xhr: 0.png
xhr: 1.png
xhr: 2.png

I currently get a mixture of, and including the above:

Or:

Thanks, wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but it got me on the right track.

I ended up adding the responses to an array; when I had all the responses back, I sorted the array from 0 upwards and that fixed me problem. Alternatively, if I didn't need to set responseType, I could have just set async to false.

The results in the example above are stored in the array in the order that the response is received, not in the order that the requests are sent. So in the original post, where xhr[0] should equal 0.png, it's possible that 1.png is received before 0.png and so that is stored in xhr[0] instead.

Edited by beennn

It doesn't seem like the order would matter, since you have the array index that you can use to put each image at the position where you want it. Other than that, to answer your original question, you would need to chain the requests so that you only send another request when one finishes.