tables instead of rows in a <select> choice form.

WesleyA

i found this script online: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8022353/how-to-populate-html-dropdown-list-with-values-from-database

<?php     $conn = new mysqli('localhost', 'username', 'password', 'database')      or die ('Cannot connect to db');     $result = $conn->query("select id, name from table");     echo "<html>";     echo "<body>";     echo "<select name='id'>";     while ($row = $result->fetch_assoc()) {                  unset($id, $name);                  $id = $row['id'];                  $name = $row['name'];                   echo '<option value="'.$id.'">'.$name.'</option>';     }     echo "</select>";     echo "</body>";     echo "</html>";     ?> 

But what I want is to get the table names from the database. Does anyone know how?

Yes, the result of SHOW TABLES can be fetched with the fetch_assoc(). Most likely the table name is in the array with index 0, but just to be sure, use print_r() to see what is actually returned.

Actually I had that already.

This is a part of my own script

<html>    <!-- make connection -->    <?php    $sql = "SHOW TABLES";    if (!$result = $conn->query($sql)){	die('There was an error running the query[' .$conn->error. ']');		    }    while($row = $result->fetch_assoc()){	echo "<center>";	$reeks = implode(" " , $row);	echo $reeks;		echo "<br>";	echo "</center>";    }    mysqli_close($conn);				?>		<body>		<table style="width: 100%;">    <tbody>    <tr>    <td>    <div class="lefcol"> <center>    <br><br><br><br><br><br>    Choose here which option you want<br>    <br><br>    <?php       ?>	         <form method="post">       <select name="col2" >	      <?php 	if (is_array($row)) //	{		foreach ($row as $value) : ?>					        <option value="<?php echo $value ?>"> <?php echo $value ?></option> 	        <?php endforeach; }?>        </select>    	<br><br><br>       			<input type="submit" value="click" />        </form>    <!-- continue html choice -->    <br>    </center>    </html>

so I'm able to print or echo the database tables. Now the thing is that I want these tables in the select tag.

Edited by WesleyA

That's just a matter of looping through the database results and printing <option> tags for them. Are you really having trouble with that?

I believe it is possible, but the thing is that there seems to be a difference in getting rows from a databases and getting tables.

Getting a row like id or name in a table has an identification variable.

When you use SHOW TABLES you get all the tables but its a list, an array.

Edited by WesleyA

but the thing is that there seems to be a difference in getting rows from a databases and getting tables.

It's not any different, you're just not printing the column names, only the values. The implode function does not use the array keys. Use var_dump or print_r to see the structure of the array so you can see what the keys are. Or, look up the MySQL manual for show tables to see what it returns.