single quote's and double quotes issue

Bogey

Hi all,

This is my test.php:

<?phpinclude($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]."/config.php"); //Include de config met username en passwords$hostname = 'localhost';$username = $GLOBALS["dbuser"];$password = $GLOBALS["dbpass"];$dbname = $GLOBALS["dbname"];try{$conn = new PDO("mysql:host=$hostname;dbname=$dbname", $username, $password);$sql = "SELECT * FROM " . $GLOBALS["adres"];foreach ($conn->query($sql) as $row){$name = $row['naam'];$street = $row['straat'];}/*** close the database connection ***/$dbh = null;}catch(PDOException $e){echo $e->getMessage();}echo $name;?><table id="table1"><tr><td><font>Name</font></td><td class='tableBracket'>:</td><td><input type='text' value='<?php echo $name;?>'/></td></tr></table>
When $row['name'] in database is test's, then I got this:
test's
Name :test (in textbox)
When $row['name'] in database is test"s, then I got this:
test"s
Name :test"s (in textbox)
So the issue is with the ' or " stored in database.
I know I has to be with this line
value='<?php echo $name;?>'
browser wil read is like:
value=' test'
Replacing the single quote's after value= to double quotes hels, but then it would fail when double quotes are in database.
What would you suggestions be?
Store it in database like this: test's instead of test's?
Edited by Bogey

I never change the data going into the database, I change the data in the database however I need to when I display the data. You want to save the original data and only change it depending on how you're displaying it. If you HTML-encode everything that goes in the database then it's only good for displaying on HTML, not email or a PDF or however else you might display data.Save the original data, convert as necessary when displaying.

So you would keep/send it to database like:

test's

and

test"s

?

Btw first post is now complete... something went wrong when posting it...

Edited by Bogey

Yes, I save the data as it was entered. I save the original data. If they wanted me to save "'" in the database then they would have typed that. Not all data goes in HTML, so I don't escape everything like I'm only going to use it in HTML. When I get the data from the database and I'm getting ready to display it, then I escape it depending on how I'm displaying it (HTML, Javascript, PDF, plain text, etc).