Could anyone help my to understand why my code doesnt work the way I want?

rain13

Hi,I am trying to build forum view. However there are few things that I don't understand.1) Why doesnt max-width: 100px; in div.count work? min-width seems to work but when you view this html on 1900x1080 you can see that div.count is clearly more than 100px;1.1) Which is better varying width (min, max) or fixed width?2) why doesn't min-height: 100px; work in li.forum_item > div ?2.2) How to make it work?

<html><head><style>li div{  display: table-cell;  border-right: 1px solid #000;  border-bottom: 1px solid #000;}li{  width: 100%;}div.forum{    min-width: 300px;}div.count{    max-width: 100px; min-width: 75px;}div.post{    max-width: 24%;    min-width: 270px;    width: 24%;}.placeholder{    display: table;    table-layout: fixed;    width: 100%;}.list_head{    background: #00285D;}.list_head div{    color: #fff;}.forums{    list-style-type: none;    padding: 0;}h4{    margin: 0px;}li.forum_item > div{    min-height: 100px;}</style></head><body><ul class="forums">  <li class="list_head">    <div class="forum">foorum</div>    <div class="count">posts</div>    <div class="count">topics</div>    <div class="post"><span class="placeholder">Last post</span></div>  </li>  <li class="forum_item">    <div class="forum"><h4>parent</h4></div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="post"><a href="./?p=0" class="placeholder"></a>By <a style="color: " href="./?p=0"></a><br><span class="post_time">On Never</span></div>  </li><li class="forum_item">    <div class="forum"><h4>comments</h4></div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="post"><a href="./?p=0" class="placeholder"></a>By <a style="color: " href="./?p=0"></a><br><span class="post_time">On Never</span></div>  </li><li class="forum_item">    <div class="forum"><h4>test</h4></div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="post"><a href="./?p=0" class="placeholder"></a>By <a style="color: " href="./?p=0"></a><br><span class="post_time">On Never</span></div>  </li><li class="forum_item">    <div class="forum"><h4>child1</h4></div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="post"><a href="./?p=0" class="placeholder"></a>By <a style="color: " href="./?p=0"></a><br><span class="post_time">On Never</span></div>  </li><li class="forum_item">    <div class="forum"><h4>child2</h4></div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="post"><a href="./?p=0" class="placeholder"></a>By <a style="color: " href="./?p=0"></a><br><span class="post_time">On Never</span></div>  </li><li class="forum_item">    <div class="forum"><h4>Blog</h4>My blog</div>    <div class="count">10</div>    <div class="count">2</div>    <div class="post"><a href="./?p=52" class="placeholder">Re: nbmnbmnb</a>By <a style="color: #00CC00" href="./?p=38">User</a><br><span class="post_time">On 1970 Jan 01 16:05:21</span></div>  </li><li class="forum_item">    <div style="min-height: 100px;" class="forum"><h4>Forum</h4>You Love Awesom-O But There Are Still Just A Few Things That Could Go Smoother, Or You Just Would Like To See Something New? Tell Us Here! </div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="count">0</div>    <div class="post"><a href="./?p=0" class="placeholder"></a>By <a style="color: " href="./?p=0"></a><br><span class="post_time">On Never</span></div>  </li></ul></body>

It probably has to do with using display: table-cell on all the divs. Table cells will, collectively, try to occupy all the space of the table they're within.

To have at least 100px in height, just set min-height to 100px on all the elements you want to change. If you want the <div> to be 100px, put it on the <div> element.