DocGrimwig

I am a complete Newbie and will be embarking on a big project to use a device for learning the web dev languages. That being said, with the availability of page source code info, inspect element etc. What should I be studying at the outset so that my design can't merely be cut and pasted and sold after all my hard work. I know there are copyrights laws, but we all no they are only a good as the paper they were written on if a person is determined to pirate something.

• Like 1

Javascript, CSS and HTML cannot be protected since they are sent to the browser so that the browser may interpret it. They are available to anybody who wants to see them. You can't really claim ownership of snippets of code, but if you've built a complete unique Javascript application you can bring it to court if somebody else uses it.

Software in general is a grey area in copyright law. Your application as a whole is protected by copyright (if it is complex and unique enough), but bits and pieces of it are not. If somebody thinks "how do I make my buttons do this effect?" and decides to copy your snippet of code for it, then you most likely can't contest that legally.

Also, while they're not allowed to copy your application's entire source code, they are allowed to create another one from scratch that does the same tasks.