which language does ebay use?

virtualadz

i am a little curious to know which web language ebay uses to build pages, all i see sometimes is cgi or dll. i have also been searching around how does ebay show that we are logged in within an .html extension page. many of their pages are .html , can anyone shed some light on it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't say for sure what they use unless you ask them. They have set the MIME type for the HTML files to match the one of their server side scripting language. So when you request an HTML, the server finds it's supposed to be a page with (for example) PHP code, processes it, and gives you the result. Normally, in order to allow plain HTML files too, the servers are set to do this with (in our case) PHP files, but not in this case.[edit] Damn it, those 2 minutes [/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

i am a little curious to know which web language ebay uses to build pages
I think maybe cgi=perl and dll=asp.net :)EDIT sorry :) i never new you were quoting me and needed to adjust my post slightly Edited by scott100

I think maybe perl or asp.net  :)

Yeah, with CGI it's usually Perl or maybe Python (we did that in school). dll I guess is compiled code in ASP.Net?[EDIT] :) You changed your message after I quoted you![EDIT] No worries... :)

ASP.Net compiles into dll so that is probably it. The only other web language that compliles, that I know of, is JSP (JAVA) and those files are .java I believe.'Then again windows has had dll files long before .Net.It is possible, especially since htey are using CGI, that they have COM files (c/c++ compiled to dll).Really there is no way to know for sure from just looking at the site.

i am not thinking of going into dll or .jsp , i was asking about php and showing it as .html, but is their really any core benefit of parsing .html pages over php. my site has a lot of pages other than shopping, so it means a lot of content (i.e. text), i am more than confused at this stage, i think my site has become disorganized.

I am not 100% sure of all the benefits, but have read that it can improve security. If they do not know which technology you are using it would be harder for them to exploit.Another option is URL Re-writing (Apache mod-rewrite) this parses urls and lets you hide the querystring variables making it much harder for sql injection and other attacks.

thanks for your suggestions. just one last ? for this topic, if someone could point me in the right direction, i would like to ask:i am not sure if i have organized my site correctly, just have a look at the structure of a prt of my site.Homei. Tea and Health (site.com/tea_health/index.php) a. --Tea 4 Health (tea_health/tea_health.php) b. --Antioxidants (tea_health/tea_anti.php) antioxidants (tea_health/tea_antioxidants.php)this is the structure for one part of my site, as you can see there are many links i have under folder tea_health, is this the right way of linking same content, for antioxidants see how my url's are in the page tea_anti.php there is a link to tea_antioxidants. is this a nice way., am i doing it right for SEO. not sure if i am expressing myself clearly. thanks for any suggestions/advice

Well, that's what w3schools.com does:http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.aspUsing the "_" (underscore) character to connect links to the topic html.Another popular way is to have one folder for each file. Then, when you link to it, you only link to the folder with a / at the end. That way, if you're changing a file extension on a page in whatever folder, you don't have to change your links in the rest of the documents from for example .html to .phphttp://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/There are a few tips on choosing URI's...

ASP.Net compiles into dll so that is probably it. The only other web language that compliles, that I know of, is JSP (JAVA) and those files are .java I believe.'Then again windows has had dll files long before .Net.It is possible, especially since htey are using CGI, that they have COM files (c/c++ compiled to dll).Really there is no way to know for sure from just looking at the site.

You can pretty much do anything you want in a server. We use an email server here where the administrator panel is an online-only interface. Every address you go to is a .exe file with querystring arguments, and I'm still not sure how they set it up to execute the exe instead of try to upload it to the user, but if you have control of your own server (or, write your own server software) then you can pretty much do anything you want.I bet the things that ebay uses are not web technologies at all. I bet they just use something like C or C++ or C# to receive and process all the requests. If you're that big, you have the resources to do whatever you want, and ebay needs to be able to handle a ton of web and database requests at all times.

welll thanks all of you. just a quick note about jonas advice: i have tried giving (a) http://site.com/tea_health/instead of(:)http://site.com/tea_health/index.phpbut it doesn't work at all for me. not that the page doesn't appear if you type it (url a) in the address bar, but making it (url a) a link in the page doesn't work. if you want to indulge more (i.e. help me) i can show you a live example. once again thanks.

changes made. --go to bhuratea.comyou will a find a menu with exact title "Tea & Health" , see it's URL, http://bhuratea.com/tea_healthok now what changes did i make? , these--in my file i changed thishttp://bhuratea.com/tea_health/index.phpto thishttp://bhuratea.com/tea_healthyou can see the resulting action there itself afterclicking on the link

ok, check the links again , i reversed the changes that i made. now all 3 links (actually 2) work as beforeone can type it in the addressbar to get there, but i am unable to make it as a link as:http://bhuratea.com/tea_health , in my php pagethe reason being this piece of code<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_TEA_HEALTH); ?>"><?php echo TWO_TEA_HEALTH; ?>this is the reference to FILENAME_TEA_HEALTHdefine('FILENAME_TEA_HEALTH', 'tea_health/index.php');you know what errors occur i make it like thisdefine('FILENAME_TEA_HEALTH', 'tea_health');i tried my hand at many other places but there wasn't any satisfactory answer.hope i was clear.

Technically, if you are referring to a directory, you should end it with a closing slash. That tells the server you are looking for a directory. If you don't include the ending slash (just the folder name), it actually takes 2 requests between your browser and the server to get the right page, because the first response tells the browser that no file exists by that name, and the second request is the browser asking for the same thing with a slash on the end (a directory instead of a file). If you include the slash then the browser only needs to send one request. I'm not saying this is your problem, but that's the way it is. Include a closing slash if you are referring to a directory.

hi, i had a topic somewhere down the line regarding text disappear on click in a form. but then the text disappeared the on a second focus, couldn't quite deal with it, found another, here is the peice of code, in it:this is the html side:<input type="text" name="login" value="Email ID" onFocus="if(this.value=='Email ID') this.value='';" onBlur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Email ID';" size="16">and this is the javascript, , i copied this code from another site but the site has the other js functions for it's site, so need to know the exact code that makes the text show and hide, thanks, most probably i would think it is this piece of code in the script: not too sure. can anyone please pull out the exact reference to the form in the script below// #### clear form ### function cls(str){ str.value = ""; return;}

<!--// #### allowing frames for roltanet ####if (self != top) {	if (document.images)  top.location.replace(window.location.href);	else  top.location.href = window.location.href;}function combo_option(obj,sub_heading){	var total = 0;	var total_checked = new Array();	var flag = 0;	for(var i=0;i<document.frm_main.elements[obj.name].length;i++){  if(document.frm_main.elements[obj.name].options[i].selected){  	if(document.frm_main.elements[obj.name].options[i].text!=""){    total_checked.push(i);    total++;  	}  	if(total>3){    document.frm_main.elements[obj.name].options[i].selected=false;    total++;    flag = 1;  	}  }	}  if (flag == 1) {  	alert("You can choose only three "+sub_heading);  }  flag = 0;}function show_hide_options(refdiv, sign, selected_value){	var domItem=document.getElementById(refdiv);	if(selected_value == "selected"	|| domItem.style.display=='none')	{  for(var i=1; i<=refdiv.substr(1); i++){  	tmp_id=refdiv.substr(0,1)+i;  	document.getElementById(tmp_id).style.display='';  }  if(sign){  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('More','Fewer');  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('plus','minus');  	sign.style.background='#FFFFFF';  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('span','span style=\"display: none;\"');  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('SPAN','SPAN style=\"display: none;\"');//  	alert(sign.innerHTML+"+");  }	}else{  for(var i=1; i<=refdiv.substr(1); i++){  	tmp_id=refdiv.substr(0,1)+i;  	document.getElementById(tmp_id).style.display='none';  }  if(sign){  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('Fewer','More');  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('minus','plus');  	sign.style.background='#F3F3F3';  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('span','span style=\"display:;\"');  	sign.innerHTML=sign.innerHTML.replace('SPAN','SPAN style=\"display:;\"');//  	alert(sign.innerHTML+"+");  }	}}function check_option_dosent_matter(obj){	var check_flag = 0;	var i = 0;	for(i=0;i<document.frm_main.elements[obj.name].length;i++){  if(check_flag == 1){  	document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].checked =false;  }  if (document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].value=="null" || document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].value=="")  {  	if (document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].checked==true)    check_flag = 1;  }	}}function check_option(obj){	for(i=0;i<document.frm_main.elements[obj.name].length;i++){  if (document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].value=="null" || document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].value==""){  	if (document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].checked==true)    document.frm_main.elements[obj.name][i].checked =false;  	}	}}/** * counter for textarea * * @author Ritchie * @param  string  sForm      form name * @param  string  sTextArea  textarea name * @param  string  sTextInput counter name * @param  integer iMaxLimit  max number for counter * * @usage  <textarea onKeyUp="calcCharLen('form_name', 'field_name', 'counter_name', 100)" onBlur="calcCharLen('form_name', 'field_name', 'counter_name', 100)" wrap="virtual" maxLength="100" class="forminput">*/function calcCharLen(sForm, sTextArea, sTextInput, iMaxLimit){	var _oDF        = document.forms[sForm];	var _oTxtA      = _oDF.elements[sTextArea];	var _iMaxLength = (!iMaxLimit) ? 100 : iMaxLimit;	var _iCharLeft  = _oTxtA.value.length;	_oDF.elements[sTextInput].value = _iCharLeft;	if(_iCharLeft > _iMaxLength)	{  _oTxtA.value = _oTxtA.value.substring(0, _iMaxLength);  _oDF.elements[sTextInput].value = _iMaxLength;  alert('You can enter only '+_iMaxLength+' characters.');	}}// #### clear form ### function cls(str){	str.value = "";	return;}var opened=false;var win;function openWin(str,nm,width,height){	if(opened == false){  win = open(str,nm,"status=0,scrollbars=1,menubar=0,toolbar=0,location=0,resizeable=0,width="+width+",height="+height);	}	else if(opened == true){  if(win.closed == false)  win.close();   win = window.open(str,nm,"status=0,scrollbars=1,menubar=0,toolbar=0,location=0,resizeable=0,width="+width+",height="+height);    	}	opened = true; }function setStat(str){	window.status=str;	window.defaultStatus="";}function veriPopUp(url) { sealWin=window.open(url,"win",'toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,width=720,height=450'); self.name = "mainWin"; }function age_diff_max(){	var diff = parseInt(document.quicksearch.ageto.options[document.quicksearch.ageto.selectedIndex].text) - parseInt(document.quicksearch.agefrom.options[document.quicksearch.agefrom.selectedIndex].text);	if(diff > 10) {  alert("Age range exceeds 10 years.\nChange age range or use Smart Search");  return false;	}	else if(parseInt(document.quicksearch.ageto.options[document.quicksearch.ageto.selectedIndex].text) < parseInt(document.quicksearch.agefrom.options[document.quicksearch.agefrom.selectedIndex].text)){  alert("Invalid From & To Age");  return false;	}	else {	return true;	}}function chk_community(){	if (document.quicksearch.community.options[document.quicksearch.community.selectedIndex].value == ""){  alert("Please select Community");  return false;	}else{  return true;	}}function chk_quicksearch(){	if (age_diff_max() == true){  return	chk_community();	}	else{  return false;	}	}function go(){	href = document.explore.destination.value;	if(href) window.open(href);}//-->