PHP 7 Is Available

justsomeguy

From their email:

Today, were pleased to announce that PHP 7.0 - the fastest and most efficient PHP ever - is officially released!

PHP 7.0 brings you unprecedented levels of real-world performance and throughput by utilizing the new and advanced Zend Engine 3.0, designed and refactored for speed and reduced memory consumption. This translates to real-world benefits: greatly decreased response times, superior user experiences, and the ability to serve more users with fewer servers to maximize the power of your PHP 7.0 deployment.

The explosive performance improvements of PHP 7.0 range between 50% and 200% on real-world apps - without changing a single line of code.

PHP 7.0 also uses much less memory thanks to the compact data structures and the highly-refactored codebase of Zend Engine 3.0. Memory consumption gains between 30% and 50% are commonly realized, allowing you to serve more concurrent users without adding additional server hardware.

If light-speed PHP isnt enough, youll be happy to know that PHP 7.0 comes with many new features, including Return Type Declarations, Scalar Type Hints, Anonymous Classes, and even a SpaceShip Operator. Check out our PHP 7 Resources page. Further details are available here.

For those who don't know, with the release of PHP 7 the old mysql extension is no longer supported, which is why we tell people posting code that uses that extension that they need to update their code. Alternatives include the mysqli extension and PDO.

• Like 2

This is a very exciting release indeed! Looking forward to trying out and excited at all the internal development / improvements that comes with it.

• Like 1

I know that's in jest, but there are reasons for both of those. They skipped PHP 6 because after PHP 5 they made a lot of promises about what PHP 6 would be (importantly native Unicode support), but they had problems with implementation. They moved several features that were planned for PHP 6 into the later versions of PHP 5 (namespaces, traits, etc), and decided to call the next version PHP 7 to make sure that people weren't expecting Unicode support and since there were already books and things referencing PHP 6 which wouldn't have been correct. As far as Microsoft goes, they skipped Windows 9 because of all of the old code checking if the OS name started with "Windows 9" to detect Windows 95 or 98. Those programs would have crapped the bed if they detected the new version of Windows as Windows 98.

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of older applications check if the OS name starts with "Windows 9", and if so they run older code versus the code that was meant for the NT line. It's a really lazy check to make when they could check if it's "Windows 95 or Windows 98", but that's the way it goes. Microsoft decided to just avoid the possible problems completely instead of try to explain why so many applications started failing.

It is really a very good news that PHP 7 is available now for developers, there were some alpha and beta updates were coming, but complete version was still awaited, I am curious to work upon it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Fwiw, I upgrade to PHP7 a couple months ago, both for my local development environment using Vagrant, and in AWS. No complaints so far and everything was easy to get work using. My project was pretty green anyway and was just a backend API to my UI, so I didn't have any good reference as far as performance and benchmarks.

Is Sql is working in PHP7?

Please say then I can install from

http://www.php.net

I had no problems with my existing source code. No code changes had to be made on my part so PDO, Slim, JWT, etc all still worked for me. It was mostly updates to my Vagrant script (local env ) and development / production servers, to leverage this PPA for the packaages I used to upgrade PHP, Apache, and MySQL

https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 as my base box.

I relied heavily on my unit and integration tests to sanity test and assure confidence in my existing functionality and haven't had any regressions to report.

• 3 weeks later...