Aligning divs within parent div

ben03

Hi,

Am sure this should be relatively straight forward, but have looked at it too long...

I am trying to get 2 divs to sit next to each other within a parent container. The second div drops to the line below currently. I don't want to set a width on the parent container as the site is responsive. How would I achieve this correctly?

Thanks in advance!

Ok no that didn't work. Maybe I will have to assign widths and then percentages on smaller browsers. I tried giving both 'display:inline-block' but it was having none of it.

If anyone can think of a better solution, let me know. Thanks for the help though!

Post #2 won't work because you are placing a floated element AFTER a non floated block element, the non floated block element will do what it is supposed to do by forcing any element following it down, it does not matter if its width only covers half or quarter of its parents width compared with following sibling being half the width, stacking will occur.

• Like 1

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<style>

#wrapper {/*width:100%; not required because ITS A BLOCK ELEMENT */
}

#leftone {
 background-color: red;
float:left;
}

#rightone {

background-color: blue;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<div id="wrapper">

<div id="leftone">
    CONTENT
 </div>
  <div id="rightone">
    CONTENT
  </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

floating leftone first, fixes the stacking problem, note because the following element is block element it fills the remaining area available to it, you could apply float: left; to rightone which cause it to remain butted to leftone but because has no defined width set and floated it will shrink to content within it.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<style>

#wrapper {/*width:100%; not required because ITS A BLOCK ELEMENT */ font-size:0;
}
#wrapper > div {display: inline-block; font-size: 16px;}

#leftone {
 background-color: red;

}

#rightone {

background-color: blue;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>

<div id="wrapper">