Bootstrap Modal that includes a Google Map

tonyM

I am trying to use a modal to display directions that include a Google map, but the map does not display.

This must be a common requirement for many websites and so an example of how to do it would be useful on

http://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_modal.asp

I am using a WordPress plugin

Responsive Google Maps | by imbaa

but the problem probably exists for all plugins.

I have no problems displaying the map on pages and posts so there is something stopping the display on the modal popup.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

There is a web page under construction at :
http://www.teesdalelocal.co.uk/

Directions to Peveril House button.

The code is:

<!-- Trigger the modal with a button -->
<button type="button" class="btn btn-info btn-lg" data-toggle="modal" data-target="#DIRECTIONS">Directions to Peveril House</button>

<!-- Modal -->
<div id="DIRECTIONS" class="modal fade" role="dialog">
<div class="modal-dialog modal-lg">

<!-- Modal content-->
<div class="modal-content">
<div class="modal-header">
<button type="button" class="close" data-dismiss="modal">×</button>
<h4 class="modal-title">
Directions to Peveril House
</h4>
</div>
<div class="modal-body">
<div class="row">
<div class="col-sm-6">
<p>
<strong>From the A31</strong>, turn north towards Blandford Forum at the A350 crossroads (approximately 4 miles west of Wimborne Minster).
</p>
<p>
After approximately one mile, take the 2nd turning on the left, just before the Ginger Fox pub and sign posted towards Almer.
</p>
<p>
Peveril House is the 3rd entrance on the right (this is immediately adjacent to the 2nd entrance). There is a brown five bar gate and a gravel driveway. If you see white fencing you have gone too far.
</p>
</div>
<div class="col-sm-6">

[responsive_map lat=50.797084" lng="-2.0895617" show_marker="true" title="Peveril House Bed and Breakfast, Sturminster Marshall, nr Wimborne, Dorset BH21 4AN" height="280px" zoom="10" pan_control="false" scale_control="false" zoom_control="true" map_type_control="true" overview_map_control="false" draggable="true" scrollwheel="false" map_type="road" street_view_control="false]

<br />
</div>
</div>

</div>
<div class="modal-footer">
<button type="button" class="btn btn-default" data-dismiss="modal">Close</button>
</div>
</div>

</div>
</div>

An observation.

When the modal is displayed the map is just a grey area.

If I right click the popup and Inspect Element, the map appears. It then seems to be cached. If I reload the page the map reverts to the grey rectangle.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. Much appreciated.

Tony

As far as I am aware a key is not needed.

The responsive Google map on the home page is almost identical and displays fine. I have also used this pluging on lots of other websites with no problem.

I think it is a problem linked to initialisation of something. I checked Google for problems concerning the display og Google maps in modal popups but I am afraid my technical skills are not sufficient to understand how to resolve the problem.

But thanks for looking.

Tony

It sounds like there are issues initializing a map inside a hidden element. It sounds like the options are to either trigger a resize event on the map once the element is shown, or wait until after the element is visible to initialize the map.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4064275/how-to-deal-with-google-map-inside-of-a-hidden-div-updated-picture