Web comic aggregator RSS feed general questions?

mysteriousmonkey29

Hello,I am trying to create a web comic aggregation website using HTML 5, CSS 3, and JavaScript. I would like users to be able to view comics of different dates from different websites all in one place. After some research, it seems like I'm probably going to need to use an RSS feed to accomplish this. However, I don't fully understand the capabilities and usage of an RSS feed.

First, would it be possible to pull images from comic websites in an automated and orderly fashion using an RSS feed? Or would I need to use something else? Or would it not be possible at all? If it is possible with an RSS feed, I'm also confused somewhat about the general implementation. Would the code for the feed be in HTML, or JavaScript, or both? Would I need to use existing libraries and or APIs? Is their existing code with a similar enough function that I could use it as a starting point?

Thanks

Feed will have summary of the post or story, an example feed http://feeds.feedburner.com/StrangeGods?format=xml, If you planning to make a website, checkout the licensing information from the feed provider site (how you can use them).

Also, use server side script like (php, phython) to fetch that feed and display it on the website. (this will benefit the website with respect to search engines).

Idea is like this, fetch and read and display OR

Fetch in background->Store in DB-> Display by querying your Database.

Okay, thanks for the info. After reading your answer and a few other similar questions on other forums, I have some follow-up questions:

First, I am concerned about the overall availability of RSS feeds, or at least of those that output what I want. After doing some research on various web comics to see if they included RSS feeds, I found that they almost overwhelmingly did, although some of them seem to include crippled feeds that don't actually include any images--they just have links to each individual comic on the original website. I also read somewhere else that this is becoming a trend (to make sure users see advertisements from the original website). I was wondering if there is any way around this kind of thing? Because the whole point of my website idea is to make the comics easy to read and all on one webpage, not to include a bunch of different links to different webpages.

Second, I am still a little confused as to the capabilities of RSS feeds. Do these feeds provide content for articles and comics in only a range of recent dates? Or can a typical RSS feed access all articles/comics from the original website across its entire history? Because most of what I'm reading online refers to RSS feeds as a way to get daily updated news articles. Don't get me wrong, I would like my website to update comics daily, but I would also like users to be able to access very old comics, so I'm wondering if a typical RSS feed will provide this capability.

Third, I'm wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of the suggestion to use server-side code in conjunction with client-side code to create my website. How exactly would this benefit a website in search engine rankings? Are there other advantages?

Finally, I'm curious about the general implementation of a combination of server-side and client-side code in a website. After some research it looks like I would have to use a different language for the server-side code, like PHP or Ruby or whatever, and I was wondering, if this is the case, how do the different languages interact? Would it be like the interaction between HTML, CSS, and JavaScript? For example, would I "iinclude" the server-side code file inside the client-side HTML file?

Thanks again