Removing white space for email adress

Nic727

Hi,

I'm currently building my regex to validate email and it's a bit complicated since a lot of things can work.

Currently I have something like that :

^[a-z\d!#$%&'"*+-/=?^_`{|}~.,]+@[a-z\d-]+\.([a-z]{2,5})$/i

I allowed 2 to 5 character after the final dot. But in Canada we have things like .gc.ca for the government.

Also, ' and ` is the same thing right or not?

One other thing I saw on Outlook login is that they are removing white space and I would like to know how.

For example, " email@hotmail.com " will be the same as "email@hotmail.com" and will be valid (I'm able to login with it). White space will not work if it's in the email itself.

Thank you

PS: I would also like to know how to make character with accents working like é, à, ë, etc.

Edited by Nic727

The pattern for after the at sign should be 0 or more groups of a letter followed by 1 or more letters or numbers, followed by a dot, then after 0 or more of those groups you have the final top level domain. It would be valid to have email@sub1.sub2.sub3.sub4.com, for example. It would also be valid to have an email address like user@local. There is no limit to the number of subdomains, you can have 0 or more. That's what your pattern needs to show.

Also, ' and ` is the same thing right or not?

Those are 2 different characters.

PS: I would also like to know how to make character with accents working like é, à, ë, etc.

Your pattern needs to allow Unicode characters in a certain range.