What does "responsive" mean?

xiecsuk

I am just getting into responsive design and am wondering just what it means.

The frameworks I have looked, bootstrap and w3.css, seem to be responsive in the horizontal direction only. Are there any objects that provide responsiveness in the vertical direction?

For instance, I have a header container which contains a graphic occupying the full depth of the space allocated for the header. There is a toolbar at the top and the website name under it to the right of the graphic. Everything looks OK at full width, but when I start to decrease the width, everything decreases proportionately except the depth of the container. So on a medium screen, I am left with a nicely proportionate graphic, toolbar and title in a container about twice the depth it needs to be. Is there a way the depth can be made responsive?

The responsiveness relates mostly to device width, because you need to allow for the content, be it images, text and there containers to adjust from 2 to more columns to one for smaller devices, this means depth of website will increase significantly as the device width becomes smaller ans smaller. IF the image, logo text shrink proportionately, and the parent container does not have a fixed height, then it should shrink proportionately to that content also.