Objects displayed outside the webpage boundaries.

xiecsuk

I have created a modal object which is divided into four quarters. The definition is as follows:

<div class="w3-layout-container">
<div id="ShowFirst" class="w3-modal">
<div class="w3-modal-content w3-left w3-animate-left w3-card" style="max-width:320px; height:220px; margin-top:12%;">
<span onclick="document.getElementById('ShowFirst').style.display='none'">
<a class="w3-btn w3-red" style="width:150px; height:100px; margin-left:6px; margin-top:6px; margin-bottom:6px;" onclick="document.getElementById ('ShowClub').style.display = 'block'">Club Chatters</a>
<a class="w3-btn w3-yellow" style="width:150px; height:100px; margin-top:6px; margin-bottom:6px;" onclick="document.getElementById('ShowMatch').style.display = 'block'">Match Matters</a>
<a class="w3-btn w3-green" style="width:150px; height:100px; margin-left:6px;" onclick="document.getElementById('ShowSocial').style.display = 'block'">Social Soirées</a>
<a class="w3-btn w3-blue" style="width:150px; height:100px;" onclick="document.getElementById('ShowPast').style.display = 'block'">Past Participles</a>
</span>
</div>
</div>
</div>

If I centre the webpage in the browser, the modal object is displayed to the left but outside the width of the webpage. I didn't expect that. I expected it to be anchored to the left of the webpage rather than the browser. Surely, all the objects created by W3.CSS should be displayed within the boundary of the web site.

The 'w3-modal' uses position: fixed; this is always to the browser viewport area, as it is taken out the flow of all other elements completely, the 'w3-modal-content' being child of 'w3-modal' will position itself relative to 'w3-modal' edges.

You can make a container within 'w3-modal' which matches the width of webapage, so you can position relative to that, OR use a position: absolute; 'w3-modal' that will position itself relatively to the webpage, only IF it is child of a webpage container that is using position relative.

Your comment that "The 'w3-modal' uses position: fixed; this is always to the browser viewport area" surprises me. Surely, when designing a website, your complete focus is the area occupied by the website; at least mine is. I define dimensions for the website, which may be fixed at its widest and then become progressively narrower if the browser viewport narrows.. As the designer of the site, I expect everything to be contained within the website dimensions regardless of the width of the browser. The position: fixed should be relative to the website dimensions, not the browser dimensions.

To try and overcome this problem, could I add position: absolute; to the <div class="w3-layout-container"> statement to correct the problem?

Generally, modal windows work a little differently than other page layout content since they always have to be in view regardless of how far down the page the user has scrolled.

This has always been the case with position: fixed; it is mainly used for setting fixed menu at top or a semi-transparent background for pop-up image or image gallery, where you don't require it to fill the total webpage height that extends beyond the viewport height, just the viewport, and it is required to be removed from the flow of other elements, else it will scroll along with those elements.

Because scrolling will happen when using position absolute, it would be better to stick with using position: fixed. Now as far as i can see with 'w3-modal' it does indeed use a semi-transparent black background, if you are not using this you can

use the same class that sets the width of the webpage container element on the 'w3-modal' itself, once that is set you just need to make few adjustment to modal

<div id="ShowFirst" class="w3-modal ClassthatSetsWebContentAreaWidth">
.ClassthatSetsWebContentAreaWidth {width: 83.3333%;}

#ShowFirst.w3-modal {
    margin: 0 auto;
 }

.w3-modal {
right:0;
}

This should now set width to match what you call webpage width, adding right:0; will make it adjust to total available width cause margin:0 auto to centre the position:fixed; modal.

IF you require the background to viewport area, you will need to as mentioned in first post, to add a container element within 'w3-modal' containing all the other elements, and use the width class on that and centre that using margin: 0 auto;

Edited by dsonesuk

Rough example

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>W3.CSS</title>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/lib/w3.css">
<style>

#webpageWrap {margin: 0 auto;  float: none; }

#webpageWrap > .w3-container {min-height: 40vh; margin-bottom: 10vh;background: #ccc;}

#ShowFirst {
    margin: 0 auto;
    right:0;
 }
#ShowFirstR {/**/top: 50%;}

#ShowFirstR > div {margin: 0 auto; float: none;}

</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="webpageWrap" class="w3-col l10">
<div class="w3-container">
  <h2>W3.CSS Modal set to same width classes as webpage ('w3-col l10' on #webpageWrap and #ShowFirst</h2>
  <button onclick="document.getElementById('ShowFirst').style.display='block'" class="w3-btn">Open Modal</button>

<div id="ShowFirst" class="w3-modal w3-col l10">
    <div class="w3-modal-content">
        <span onclick="document.getElementById('ShowFirst').style.display='none'" class="w3-closebtn">×</span>
        <p>Some text. Some text. Some text.</p>
        <p>Some text. Some text. Some text.</p>
      </div>
    </div>
  </div>
</div>

<h2>W3.CSS Modal set to covering total area of viewport, but! using added div container ( with fictious class 'thisone') set to match same width of webpage container</h2>
  <button onclick="document.getElementById('ShowFirstR').style.display='block'" class="w3-btn">Open Modal</button>

<div id="ShowFirstR" class="w3-modal">
  <div class="w3-col l10 thisone">
    <div class="w3-modal-content">
        <span onclick="document.getElementById('ShowFirstR').style.display='none'" class="w3-closebtn">×</span>
        <p>Some text. Some text. Some text REVISED.</p>
        <p>Some text. Some text. Some text REVISED.</p>
      </div>
    </div>
  </div>
</div>
</div>

</div>       
</body>
</html>

Thank you very much for that. The first example is exactly the effect I want. I will now build it into my code. Thanks again.