W3schools Forum Design- Whats Happening?

dsonesuk

What is The news of this forum site going down? Hack? Update Problem? Someone pressing wrong button, messing where they should not?

I know there was a spammer which required removing before the site went down, and I notice that some topics I replied to have gone as well!

New design coding

header::before {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0) url("w3choolsBG_.png") repeat scroll 0 0;
    content: "";
    height: 63px;
    left: 0;
    position: absolute;
    right: 0;
    top: 0;
}
#ipsLayout_header header {
    background-color: #2c5687;
    margin-bottom: -125px;
    padding: 0 0 125px;
position: relative;
}
	#elLogo img {
    max-width: 100%;
    min-width: 358px;
}
	.ipsLayout_container {
    overflow: hidden;
    padding: 0 15px;
}

w3choolsBG_.png

But! why has topics/ members been lost, even friends are all gone now, this is a administrator decision to upgrade, it does not automatically update, because you have to select convert 'friends' to what are called 'followers' now. IT sounds like either admin foul up on maintenance/updating, or recovering from hack which brought site down gone wrong.

Edited by dsonesuk

So it was hack or foul up then, if it was upgrade would it have been better to do all reconfiguration, design change, before making it live.

Surely they would have had a backup as well? So restore original, while working on new.

Edited by dsonesuk

It was an upgrade, unless someone decided to hack into the server and upgrade the software.  That would be a rather strange goal for a hack I would think though.  I don't see a version number readily available but it looks like it was a major version upgrade.

You're welcome to contact the people who pay the bills if you'd like to ask why they decided to upgrade the software.  Personally, now that we have a working admin control panel I tend to think it was a good move.

The problem is not why, but the how they have done it, no friends listed, topics and members missing, configuration and dezign not finalized, in other words ill prepared, not thought out, and what should have been done BEFORE going live which I would expect from any professional developer.

I don't believe they've ever given much attention to the forum. They likely just clicked an "Upgrade" button and let it do its thing.

The quality of development in a company is often dictated by how much money the business branch wants to spend on it. I think they just didn't want to bother spending the time and money to do a proper migration process since the forum does not really generate money for their company.