Passing arithmetic operators in function arguments..

Rod

Is there a way of passing arithmetic operators via a functions' parameters and/or arguments. e.g

##########################################################################
function doTheMath(a, b, doThis) {
    return a  doThis  b;    //  have this evaluate to... a + b or a * b ...etc as appropriate.
}

var theResult = doTheMath(4,10, + );     // the "+" could be any of the arithmetic operators.
##########################################################################

I know it's possible to do it with multiple "if" statements or "switch" statement or callbacks (yes..i watched a video on callbacks on...."a well known video sharing website",  but is there an easier (smaller code) way of doing it.

Just curious....I'm a newbe.

No, you can't.

I would recommend making multiple functions, one for each operation, just to keep things organized, but if you absolutely need to do it all in the same function you can pass a string to indicate which operation to do.

function operate(a, b, operator) {
  switch(operator) {
    case "+": return a + b;
    case "-": return a - b;
    case "*": return a * b;
    case "/": return a / b;
    default: return 0;
  }
}

Just in case someone is interested, I managed to get it to work. I've tried passing the "+" without the quotes and then doing toString() on the receiving parameter but that did not work but as it in now, it does work.

function doMath(a,b,doThis){
    return    eval(a.toString().concat(doThis, b.toString()));
}

var theResult = doMath(50, 20, "+");
alert(theResult);

That's very inefficient. eval() should never be used.

Why exactly do you want a function that does a math operation when you can simply do the operation right where you would be calling the function.

// Short and efficient
var theResult = 50 + 20;

// Long and inefficient
var theResult = doMath(50, 20, "+");

well.... using that (your) logic i might as well put 70 in "theResult" in the first place.

I'm not trying to do something in particular with this, i was just wondering "can it be done", and so....now knowing that it can be done, it might come in useful in the future. (not necessarily on a math problem) . I don't doubt your comment that "eval" is inefficient"......i have no idea either way, I'm new to javascript, but... it's available and it worked.