Determine equipment and method to serve up and work with video files

SerenityNetworks

I currently have a tool that is an HTML page employing JavaScript to review video.  It has the required features shown in the bullets below.  It operates as designed, but only works with files on a local drive.  I'd like to expand it's functionality to allow remote users to work with video files served up from a home based NAS or personal cloud type device.  I don't know whether it's best to stream the video or have the page use a progressive download.  I don't know what specific type of device would be best to use for serving up the video.  (I currently have 50/50 fiber to the premises, but can upgrade to 100/100 or even 1000/1000, if needed.)  Right now, I'm just trying to determine what's possible, the best method for accomplishing my goals, and the preferred type of device for serving up the video.

Here are the features possessed by the current tool that will be required with the enhanced functionality.

• Display video within a browser window
  • Support, at minimum, MOV and MP4 formats
  • Controls:
    • Play/Pause
    • Mute/Unmute
    • Playback speed
    • Playback position (both know the current playback position of the video and be able to enter a value in a field, press a button, and be taken directly to that point in the video)
    • Video display size

Any help on getting me started in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Perhaps.  I'm looking to see if/how I can modify the code (below) to source a URL instead of a local path and if I do then will I have the same controls available.  I'm not a coder by trade, but I muddle along; learning as I go.  Still, I'm left with the questions of whether it is better to use code that would stream the video or use a progressive download method, and how best to serve up the video files.

UPDATE:  Here is a link to a page I put together with the basic functionality required.  I stripped out the few hundred lines of code that actually do something and did my best to leave just the code relevant to the playing and manipulation of the video.  So far I haven't seen an easy way to allow this code to play a URL versus loading a local file.  But as I mentioned, I'm not a coder, so any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Edited by SerenityNetworks

That code sets the videoNode.src property to load the video, you can set that with any URL to have it play.  Most of that code is about building the URL for a local file, if you already have a URL then you don't need much of that code.

Thanks for providing some direction.  I'll compare this code with a page I have that opens a file directly from a URL, learn the difference, and what code I can skip when loading from a URL.

Any suggestions on what would be the best method and type of device to use for serving up the video?