Hacked behind us

Jack McKalling

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in higher education it called "critical thinking"part of want you say is evidence of critical thinking. saying you don't care about discovering fault or assigning blame trivializes the situation. its not a bad thing to find that out. and finding a solution is naturally the first priority. but as the solution has come, implemented, and passed it is not uncommon to think more deeply to see if there are signs or symptoms that can be used to identify future recurrances.Granted, this maybe as clear and cut as justsomeguy exclaims and I may be sounding more like a troll than anything else. What I am suggesting is that, sure someone hacked, we repaired, and we moved on, but what was really learned beside (update your software and people can be jerks). What I am saying is that thinking beyond that would reveal something more, like this situation has made aspnetguy rethink his web development strategies by seeking possible alternatives to open source web forums. Thinking more about the possibility that the hackers "could have" acquired information about you would motivate you to think about how you develop your online personality and how you would make that different from your offline (real life) personality - creating a distinction between the two. Realizing that if hackers, with standing decrypting your password, acquired your profile information from the hack, then your signature, your IM settings and your web address (if defined) could be plugged into a script that was built for the purpose of collecting information in this format and conducting reverse lookups to get more information about you.I know this may be more than anyone wants to spend time on, especially considering most users here are less than 25 years of age and therefore have better more entertaining things to think about. But all that is what I am "after" when I mention there is more to it than "update your software" and "people can be jerks".

Skemcin closed payback, so I will post it in here. Justsomeguy, I didn't see that it was hosted by theplanet.com, so I sent an email to godaddy.com complaining about what happened.These people shouldn't be hacked into by W3Schools members... that's just an eye for an eye, doesn't help! We need to write letters to the government, there host, and other people that can take action the right way. Hacking is illegal and is a felony if you are cought.The only legal hacking is when you are asked or hired by the site(company) to help debug and find holes in a given script. This is not what has happened!

Compromising a computer system is a felony, but that doesn't matter if the people are out of the country. But their server is in Dallas, Texas, and it does violate the AUP for their host. But I want more information, I'm going to break down and pay the $15 so that I can see the first domain registry entry, right now the domain registry gives generic information for their registrar, but there are 13 records in the history, with 2 or 3 substantial changes, and I want to see what the first record from June said. That domain is barely a month old.Like I said before, changing the page title would have been sufficient to prove a hack had taken place, but since they decided instead to be malicious against us and the community here, I just don't really feel like letting this go so easily. If they hadn't destroyed data and removed public access, I probably would have just gotten a laugh over the fact that the admins didn't change the page title for a month, but they crossed the line and I'm fairly angry about it, considering that myself and many other people sacrifice a lot of time solely for the benefit of other people. Those kids sacrifice their time solely for the detriment of other people.I agree with not hacking them back, I didn't mean to suggest that in the other thread (I admit I sounded that way though), so I apologize. That is certainly not the right answer. Although it would be very satisfying.. I would, however, like to perform a denial of service attack on their server with a sledgehammer.

Thinking more about the possibility that the hackers "could have" acquired information about you would motivate you to think about how you develop your online personality and how you would make that different from your offline (real life) personality - creating a distinction between the two.
I see were you're coming from, but this distinction has nothing to do with the hacking event, long before it I considered on W3Schools to ask for a name change, or making a new account. This situation just made the choice easier although it didn't last. My decision in altering my online personality has to do about some people I know, and with whome I have had mayor social problems with chat and so on. On MSN, I changed my whole address, removing everyone with whome I never talked with. Some people of my old list know I am the same of before, but I still try to be different, I try to be myself again. At the beginning of my internet life as I call it temporarily, I was a loving person with a good heart, liked to help people. That idea scattered around, as I lived that life. I started to behave arrogant or egocentric without me knowing so. That was unwanted behavior for myself, and I wanted to start all over again to try to reclaim the image I had in the beginning. A nice person I am, and want to become again on internet.But you're not wrong, there is more to it than just those two things, what to do with it an what we've learned from it, next to that some people are not that nice. But as far as we are now, in this situation, I don't think it is necessary to look deeper, though in other situations it would. You're right, we are young, but in the idea you draw I can find myself. In real life, al too see more things than most others. I don't want to sound arrogant, not at all, but I know and see things I haven't met someone else for who was able to do too. Call me what you want, young (almost twenty), naive, or whatever. But don't underestimate what I can "See" :) I speak for myself, you did mean everyone else too.

Let's get one thing straight!This was not a hacker but a cracker!A hacker finds faults and then reports and informs so that any security leak can be fixed.This infantile idiot is like the teenager who thinks it is 'cool' to leave his name in graffiti on a subway for other infantile idiots to see who do the same.I have no respect whatsoever for crackers!Regards, Wim Ahlers.

You can call them by any name, I prefer "script kiddie", since 1) they are children (I've seen pictures on their forum) and 2) all they do is find and execute scripts for previously known exploits. Of course, you can abbreviate that to just "skiddie".I guess different terminology can mean different things, when I think of a "hacker" I think of an incompetent programmer who doesn't know what he's doing, he's just "hacking". That is the definition I got from my professors, who docked points if they came by and saw people "hacking", just changing things and seeing what happens instead of trying to understand the problem and determine a solution. So in my opinion a "hacker" is not something that any programmer would want to be.Crackers, on the other hand, are people who actually find exploits themselves. The Russian guy who identified the exploit and wrote the original script that all the skiddies use is a cracker. He did the work, both mentally and physically, to identify and exploit a weakness. The other kids just use his work to deface sites. They aren't programmers, or "hackers", or "crackers", or anything else that sounds cool, at best they are just vandals, no different than some kid taking a can of pre-made spray paint and spraying grafitti on a wall, like you said.

I tried the h4ckme site just a second ago, and it comes up with an error page that says there is no webpage configured at the address. hopefully that means that they got kicked off thier hosting.

The domain h4ckme.org was registered by us and locked due to illegal activities 2 days ago.
To the "hackers": if you want to go around destroying people's data, you might want to choose your targets a little more wisely. A community of web developers just may not be the best choice. On behalf of everyone you have attacked in the past, we thank you for choosing to attack us, and thereby getting your domain suspended.You attack us, we 404 your domain. Seems fair to me.And also, I would like to add...hahahahahahahahahaha!

Those jerks came here and ruined things for us. Isn't anybody going to do anything? Throw something back at them? Don't care if they fix it in 30 minutes as long as we do something.Hope I'm not the only one that feels this way.
There is your answer. We did do something except we chose to do it legally. Instead of hacking them back and haveing the site back up in 30 minutes we chose to report them and now their site is down permently.It pays to do things properly!
You attack us, we 404 your domain. Seems fair to me.
More than fair!

Good there site is down, who said the site was locked? Did you get it in an email or what?
That email was from the person whose name was on their whois record, who works for the company where they registered the domain. On Monday I'll see if the host has written me back yet.
We down their site but hackers still be there
Yeah, there are still disaffected children out there looking to screw up other people's data. But at least they have one less place to gather and communicate. There will always be people looking to attack web sites, but the law is on our side.

Well then, we better call Sylvester along to kick THAT SITE'S BUTT!But leave it to him, ok guys? We don't want this forum to be associated with hacking. That makes us about as low as their forum. It's not the action, it's the reaction... :)