Retrieve Image Dimensions

jherzog

Is there a php command that would return the dimensions of an image file?This file is saved in a directory not in a database.I have looked at the function stat() which returns a lot of information on a file but does not return dimensions (which would be specific to image files).I will explain why I want this in case there is an obviously better solution that you know about:I have a page that displays a picture. In theory all of these pictures should be less then 200px wide or they mess up the layout. However, I am building this site for people who are not web/tech savvy. If they were to upload a picture that was too large I don't want it to display. I was thinking an if() test to make sure that the picture is less then 200px wide. But I can do this only if I can retrieve the dimension stats from a file. Since the proportions of all these pictures change I can not define the image dimensions with html (ie width=200px height=200px). If the pictures proportions were not 1 to 1 the image would be distorted. Another reason I can't define the dimensions with HTML is there could be pictures less than 200px wide which I don't want to blow up, I want them to stay smaller. So that is my problem. Again a php function that returns dimensions would be cool but I kind of doubt it exists. Any ideas?Jed