My first professional site

ible-white

Hi,I am doing this site for a maritime organization.It's not completed as yet--> It's just 5 days of work so far.CLICK HERE FOR THE SITEAnyway- I just wanted to hear what you think of it so far.Don't try to soften the blows- just yell it out!Any suggestions, comments, critiques?ps- This is actually my first professional site, so i neeeed to impress! (I was asked- so why turn it down? :) )thx

When I opened with IE 6, at the top of the "rounded box" its not properly aligned; slightly shifted towards left. Text there is "Maritime Administration DepartmentInformation goes here. Information goes here. Information goes here. ................."in the same line, the left menu "Our News Archive" is also shifted leftOn the right side; light blue background for heading "Latest Highlights" does not completly cover it. background is short so only "latest" has the BG.

I have a couple of notes on the navigation:The navigation should somehow show what page you on currently on, so if you are on the about-marad page, the link to it should be removed from the navigation and replaced with some static text, and maybe a slightly different background image so it is clear that the user is on that page and to prevent the page from being self-refrencing.Also, on most (all?) pages, below the navigation but above the rounded box you have some yellow links right aligned. Is there a reason that those are not part of the main navigation above?

ok- i took the comments and tried to do some adjusting. here goes:(HERE IS THE NEW LINK)

... the blue and yellow navigation.... the yellow is a bit intense...I would choose something more muted.
Changed the color
When I opened with IE 6, at the top of the "rounded box" its not properly aligned; slightly shifted towards left.......... in the same line, the left menu "Our News Archive" is also shifted left
That's now fixed.
On the right side; light blue background for heading "Latest Highlights" does not completly cover it. background is short so only "latest" has the BG.
Fixed.
The navigation should somehow show what page you on currently on, so if you are on the about-marad page, the link to it should be removed from the navigation and replaced with some static text, and maybe a slightly different background image so it is clear that the user is on that page and to prevent the page from being self-refrencing.
Fixed, but for now, only the first row of the top navigation. and in the left menu, only 'About MARAD' sub menu.
Also, on most (all?) pages, below the navigation but above the rounded box you have some yellow links right aligned. Is there a reason that those are not part of the main navigation above?
Taken out... now permanently apart of the top navigation.
I like it Ible... even like the yellow in there... I'm quite impressed if you did this in 5 days and it's your first site.
Thanx. well- it's really my 3rd official site--> my second try at using css--> my first professional site. thanx all !!!(HERE IS THE NEW LINK)anymore comments, suggestions, critiques? they are welcomed.ps- i did not get to do anything else much. yesterday and last night i basically ZZZzzzzZzzzZZZzzzZzzZZZZzzzzzz............. yup- i zzzzzzzzzzzz in the afternoon, went to a food fair and a thx giving service, came back home last night and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... somebody's body is trying to tell them something!

The only thing I feel that it's not right is the headers on the center column. The first one is higher then I feel it should be. It should be below the white line that's drawn in the background. In IE7, it's even more shifted above then in Firefox.

first heading in rounded box "MARITIME ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT" is slightly above the box.... is it how its supposed to be? if not correct it.
The only thing I feel that it's not right is the headers on the center column. The first one is higher then I feel it should be. It should be below the white line that's drawn in the background. In IE7, it's even more shifted above then in Firefox.
thanx- i actually fixed that 2 days ago, but i have not been able to upload my latest corrections and additions. probably later tonight.
a bit too much blue, that is all. Other than that I like it very much
well, that's the color they wanted- so i tried to do a variation of the same color. but thx much!

ok- i'm back.i did some work on the site.THIS IS THE NEW UPDATEfor me- in terms of design, i'm basically done: unless the people need something changed or u guys see something that can be fixed. don't hesitate to shout back at me ok. i'll appreciate it.what i wanna do now is to try to use a lil php- which i'm not that versed in as yet.... for an email form and to calculate fees and tax.anyway- i have one lil question (if i ever ask a direct question in this forum, it's because i would have tried my whole belly out in doing it, but to no avail). yup- thats my personal rule for myself- don't ask unless u have tried it all.anyway- in the top navigations i can click anywhere on the link. however, on the current navigation (still talking about the top) on the present page (whichever one u r on at that time- the navigation should be yellowish then) i can only click on the words itself instead of anywhere in the navigation button. how can i get it to click anywhere instead of only on the words?thx for ur response.and thx for the other critiques as well. i love critiques- especially the bad ones. weird huh! lol :)

I think it looks great.Two things I can only mention:a.) if you are going to play with php, have you made your navigation menus into SSI files (that is server side includes). This way you do not have to go to every page to change your navigation - you may already be doing, you can't necessarily tell from a rendered page unless its commented accordingly.b.) You might want to play with the header graphic - the yellow font is a little hard to read on the blue/fading to wite(sky) backdrop. It might only need a very subtle drop shadow - I dunno, just a thought to play with it to see if you can mke it stick out a little more - give the page some depth.Again, great job all around. Source code is neat - and thats a plus in my book. If I had to find anything else, I'd recommend using a couple indents to help isolate certain blocks fo your code - just so that they are not all running against your gutter - just another thought.re: http://iribbit.net/i/_files/gma-sitemap.htm

have you made your navigation menus into SSI files
hmmmm... nope. actually, i did not even thought about that. shame. i have not touched any php as yet. was gonna tackle it from 2moro evening.
You might want to play with the header graphic - the yellow font is ....
ok- i'll play around with it and see.
give the page some depth.
meaning? tell me more...indent? u mean just for the source code, or for the information- content?ok Skemcin. i'll step on it 2moro nite.thx for the critique, suggestions and the comment.D

On the top navigation, the hover image, and the current page image don't really go well with the regular image, as the regular image looks like a button, and the other two don't, nor do they bear any resemblance to each other either...Also, when the button shows the current page, the text should be a bit lower.The top border of the left hand navigation doesn't fit with the sides and bottom very well.Finally, the banner image looks kind of stretched, so if you can, you might want to get a larger background image.

I really like that new website execpt for 4 things. The first issue that I have is that the sidebar headers to the left look too much like your links at the top of your page. The next issue is that all of your content is repeated, example text, which I am sure that you will fix. The third issue is the broken links, which I am sure is because you are not done with the website. The worst broken link is the ones that go to "contact-us.html". Other broken links appear to be caused by bookmark links that are used by your links at the top appear to all be formated for the local page but are being used on other pages. If you want to be sure that those links will work regardless of your active page, include more in the bookmark link. An example of this is if you have a page named "contact-us.html" and have a bookmark like "<a name='contact-webmaster'>Webmaster's Contact Information</a>", you could always link to that page by using a link like "<a href='contact-us.html#contact-webmaster'>Get contact information for the webmaster</a>". The last issue that I have is that I really like the overall design and look, but as I saw in your other replies, it seems that if I like it, the rest of the world will not like the colors or the layout. I hope that this is one of the times that other people will like what I like. That is all I have to say about your website at a glance; overall I like it.

hey DeathRay2K and ElectroSciTech,u guys gave a lot of food for thought. i have to go out now, but when i get back i'll think about it all and see how well it fits in.but ElectroSciTech, what do u mean when u said, "The last issue that I have is that I really like the overall design and look, but as I saw in your other replies, it seems that if I like it, the rest of the world will not like the colors or the layout. I hope that this is one of the times that other people will like what I like."? just wondering.we'll catch up.lataz

• 3 weeks later...

ok- i'm back.uhhh... the php i was gonna use- i did not use it. i'm really a php newbie- so things did not work out all that well. but i did some changes nonetheless and other additions. * the 'current' top navigation button is changed.* i lightened the body colour with a ligher blue.* i added a calender* i added the date* i added a calculator- javascript. i'm by far not a javascript fan tho, but... my php calculator i was trying to do did not worked out, so... (the javascript is not my original coding tho- well, only the gui- not the backend).* i tried to make the wording on the header more pronounced* other stuff- but the above are the main ones i think.and ohhh... ssi made me pulled out my hair. so i had to glue them back in this morning. :) since last week it had me reeeaaaal puzzled and confused- but i figured it out just a while ago actually. the server was not displaying the site "at all". i was clueless as to why. and that was since last week eh. the problem was that i was using "virtual" when it was suppose to be "file". that was my fault i guess- carelessness.