OT: Computer: A Blessing or a Curse?

ible-white

Is the computer that we all love soooo much a blessing or a curse? :blink: And that includes all that comes with it: Internet :blink: Email :) E-commerce :) Programming (Did I hear someone say: are you crazy?) :) Hmm... you know it all... :blink:

Edited by Skemcin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like philisophical questions. Why would we dig deeper into our world when the superficial surface around us pleases us? Why would we want to know why George killed Lennie in Of Mice and Men, and who cares what Animal Farm was symbolic for? Computers are a blessing, because I'm having fun. I refuse to look down the road going all mystical-crystal-ball by thinking about how what I do on the computer will affect my life in the future.Just my opinion. Oh by the way, blessing. :)Choco

I don't like philisophical questions. Why would we dig deeper into our world when the superficial surface around us pleases us? Why would we want to know why George killed Lennie in Of Mice and Men, and who cares what Animal Farm was symbolic for?
You do realize those questions are all philosophical stands?

You can choose to consciously ignore the theoretical and philosophical roots behind anything all you want. But your subconscious is still going to impact your morals and beliefs. It is for that reason that theoretical and philosophical are so important - they help reveal the motivations the control the human mind.If you truly did not care about all the "deep" things about like - then you would choose to not have an avatar. The fact that you have chosen to use the Gimp logo as your 'tar suggests that you have put thought into how you wish others to perceive you. You may discount that as - "heck, I just like the logo" or "naw man, I just like the software" but the relationship between you and your avatar shows a certain depth to your thinking.It obvious that if theoretical and philosophical ideas were not discussed then we would never be able to learn how to deal with people. We would be left only to tolerate their behavior - and tolerating is the worst thing you can do throughout your life. Either accept it, get rid of it, but never tolerate it.In any respect, living in superficial world will never allow you to appreciate everything that it is composed of. Chocolate, be careful with this kind of statement"Why would we dig deeper into our world when the superficial surface around us pleases us?"Would you say that if your superficial world was surrounded with murder, lies, corruption, prejudice, and poverty? You can be one of those people that turn a blind eye to all the problems in the world if you like - and you may find yourself around a select few that stay on that journey with you, but people like me have a word for people like that - snob. I mean absolutely no disrespect in my comments, but I think it is important to understand how that perspective might be viewed by others. You are young and you have many experiences ahead of you - I am only worried that this angel will greatly reduce the opportunities.Respectfully,Skemcin

uhhhh... not becuase u r having fun at something makes it a blessing. some psychopaths get plenty fun out of killing, but that does not make it right. :) the world use to be real laaaaarge! but now its real smaaaaal! did i hear someone blame the internet for that? :) ohhhh- that was me. lol.em em em... have u ever heard the term: sin is sweet? well, computers might be like that! bitter sweet!

uhhhh... not becuase u r having fun at something makes it a blessing. some psychopaths get plenty fun out of killing, but that does not make it right. :) the world use to be real laaaaarge! but now its real smaaaaal! did i hear someone blame the internet for that? :) ohhhh- that was me. lol.em em em... have u ever heard the term: sin is sweet? well, computers might be like that! bitter sweet!
How so? Is it more satisfying to take 10 times longer to complete a task without a computer? That is like the governent saying "Don';t use a calculator to do your taxes, we want to see your scrap paper and all your long division". It doesn't matter how it gets done, and if I have extra time with my family because I used a computer, I call that a blessing! .

well- that depends on your interpretation and from what angle you are viewing it from. i myself am a family person and is always happy to spend much time with them. so yea, its a blessing in the light that it helps you to spend more time with your family. but that is just one of the 50 million sides. twist the line a little and u might scream. :) and since when "It doesn't matter how it gets done"? if u are strictly talking about programming- well. but for certain other things- it matters a whole lot how it gets done.

How so? Is it more satisfying to take 10 times longer to complete a task without a computer? That is like the governent saying "Don';t use a calculator to do your taxes, we want to see your scrap paper and all your long division". It doesn't matter how it gets done, and if I have extra time with my family because I used a computer, I call that a blessing!
Just to throw in an anarcho-primitivist viewpoint, the reason you aren't able to spend time with your family is because of advances like computers. The more technology that is introduced with the promise of making our lives easier and of making tasks take less time to accomplish, the more we are expected to stuff into our days, the more busy we become, the less lesiure time we have. Then there's all of the polution and waste generated because of technology (massive amounts of water to produce electricity, aluminum, silicon; all of the plastic, metal, etc being thrown into the landfills as more and more newer and "better" technology comes out).I count it as a curse. But, here I sit writing code all day - loving (almost) every minute of it. :)

you may be right but think about it. Is technology all bad then? What about early pioneers who worked from sun up to sun down 7 days a week just to hopefully grow enough food to feed their family and plant for the following year, but could have everything wided out in a wild fire or storm?Technology has improved our lives greatly since those days.I also sit all day and write code and love it....that is why I am taking this position.

You can choose to consciously ignore the theoretical and philosophical roots behind anything all you want. But your subconscious is still going to impact your morals and beliefs. It is for that reason that theoretical and philosophical are so important - they help reveal the motivations the control the human mind.If you truly did not care about all the "deep" things about like - then you would choose to not have an avatar. The fact that you have chosen to use the Gimp logo as your 'tar suggests that you have put thought into how you wish others to perceive you. You may discount that as - "heck, I just like the logo" or "naw man, I just like the software" but the relationship between you and your avatar shows a certain depth to your thinking.It obvious that if theoretical and philosophical ideas were not discussed then we would never be able to learn how to deal with people. We would be left only to tolerate their behavior - and tolerating is the worst thing you can do throughout your life. Either accept it, get rid of it, but never tolerate it.In any respect, living in superficial world will never allow you to appreciate everything that it is composed of. Chocolate, be careful with this kind of statement"Why would we dig deeper into our world when the superficial surface around us pleases us?"Would you say that if your superficial world was surrounded with murder, lies, corruption, prejudice, and poverty? You can be one of those people that turn a blind eye to all the problems in the world if you like - and you may find yourself around a select few that stay on that journey with you, but people like me have a word for people like that - snob. I mean absolutely no disrespect in my comments, but I think it is important to understand how that perspective might be viewed by others. You are young and you have many experiences ahead of you - I am only worried that this angel will greatly reduce the opportunities.Respectfully,Skemcin
You can choose to consciously ignore the theoretical and philosophical roots behind anything all you want. But your subconscious is still going to impact your morals and beliefs. It is for that reason that theoretical and philosophical are so important - they help reveal the motivations the control the human mind.
True. But those impacts happen no matter what we do. We can't ignore them---but do we have to dig deep into them and try to figure out why and how they came into existence?
but the relationship between you and your avatar shows a certain depth to your thinking.
Enlighten me? :) You might say this is an excuse, but I needed an avatar, and the URL of the GIMP logo was on my clipboard at the time after solving a support topic. So I pasted it. You might say that over the year (or so) that I've been here I've created an underlying connection with this avatar. And if that's true, and I don't know that, why would it matter? What would be the reason for actually knowing what the fact that I chose the GIMP avatar? Would it make a difference on my future?
In any respect, living in superficial world will never allow you to appreciate everything that it is composed of. Chocolate, be careful with this kind of statement"Why would we dig deeper into our world when the superficial surface around us pleases us?"Would you say that if your superficial world was surrounded with murder, lies, corruption, prejudice, and poverty?
Touché. The fact that I've grown up in safe environments might affect the way I feel about the outer, unchanged-by-reasoning shell of the world.
You can be one of those people that turn a blind eye to all the problems in the world if you like - and you may find yourself around a select few that stay on that journey with you, but people like me have a word for people like that - snob. I mean absolutely no disrespect in my comments, but I think it is important to understand how that perspective might be viewed by others. You are young and you have many experiences ahead of you - I am only worried that this angel will greatly reduce the opportunities.
No offense taken. I can take criticism :)That I am. Thank you for taking the time to type out this post. It's quite interesting. -Choco

You might say computers are something in between. A cursed blessing or blessed curse or something like that.As said, there are many sides to look from. There's a saying "it doesn't matter how big is, it's how you use it". True, the context of the saying is another thing (and it's not computer hardware :) ), but if you just change "big" to "time consuming" or "overwhelming" you get a whole new way of thinking :) .I mean, let's face it. There's a big difference between a user and a user. Some use the computer as a typewriter and/or calculator. Others use it to share information. Others (like us) use it to create frameworks for sharing information, etc. etc. etc.While for some is a blessing, it's curse for others. But you know what... I think most of the times, it's curse for those that can't afford to use it and/or own it.If you start the "nature" song, then you should think about the petrol first, and then for the stuff for making the hardware. I'm not sure, but I think the second is FAR more ecological then the first. Good thing that after 20 years or so, the petrol and the madness behind it will end.

Is technology all bad then? What about early pioneers who worked from sun up to sun down 7 days a week just to hopefully grow enough food to feed their family and plant for the following year, but could have everything wided out in a wild fire or storm?Technology has improved our lives greatly since those days.
Technology has made it so that I can sit here, in this climate controlled office, listening to my digital music, typing on this plastic keyboard, communicating with you across an entire continent in total comfort and not have to worry about whether or not a wildfire, drought, or tornado is going to wipe out my garden/farm. It has also, however, made me (and I am guessing you) completely reliant on its existence. What happens if (when?) some catasrophe befalls our infrastructure and we lose power, transporation, water? Once the corner store runs out of bottled water, where are we going to get the water that we need to drink?Granted, technology can purify water so that it is drinkable, but the reason that we need that technology to purify our water is because of technology. It's still a curse in my book.
Good thing that after 20 years or so, the petrol and the madness behind it will end.
And so, then, will end our primary source of plastics.

The more technology that is introduced with the promise of making our lives easier and of making tasks take less time to accomplish, the more we are expected to stuff into our days, the more busy we become, the less lesiure time we have.
true, true and more true! it's like in the medical world- the more medicine that is developed, the more deseases we are plagued by, the sicker we become, and the faster we die.
Then there's all of the polution and waste generated because of technology (massive amounts of water to produce electricity, aluminum, silicon; all of the plastic, metal, etc being thrown into the landfills as more and more newer and "better" technology comes out).
yup! and one of them that i can't take anymore is the fuel combustion in the air. but yet, who wanna walk 50 miles when they can drive?
you may be right but think about it. Is technology all bad then? What about early pioneers who worked from sun up to sun down 7 days a week just to hopefully grow enough food to feed their family
well, the truth is that back then there was more collective work rather than individual work. many farms were operated by an entire family- thus, they spent time together while weeding the plants. but how much time can we spend with others while on the computer- programming? lol.
Technology has improved our lives greatly since those days.
that's true. it has improved it - yet demolished it. hhmm... i wonder which is heavier? let me see..... uuuhhh...
But your subconscious is still going to impact your morals and beliefs. It is for that reason that theoretical and philosophical are so important - they help reveal the motivations the control the human mind.
yeah. just as every action in life has a consequence, whether good or bad- every action in life was also motivated or stimulated by an external or internal force- whether consciously or subconsciously. people just dont cry for no reason or laugh for no reason--> well, unless u r crazy. but even the crazy ones has their reason.
I think most of the times, it's curse for those that can't afford to use it and/or own it.
in what way? make them wanna steal or so? or make them feel like a dumbo?
What happens if (when?) some catasrophe befalls our infrastructure and we lose power...
uuhhhh... all programmers scream and go half crazy until it comes back. then when it comes back- we are glued to the pc becuz we wanna make up for lost time- no time for friends nor family. :)

in the medical world- the more medicine that is developed, the more deseases we are plagued by, the sicker we become, and the faster we die.
That is not true. In the 1800's countless people died each year from the flu and miseales, things that are easily curable today. Alot of people would die from broken bones because of infection.On average we are living longer than any time in history. It is true that there are new diseases today, but a lot (not all) is based on how we live (smoking , drinking, etc)...it can not all be blamed on technology.

I'd say a blessing. Take a look at 10th century London. A city no more than a few miles across and populated by wooden houses. People die aged 40. 50 if you're lucky. Now take a look at 21st century London. Millions of people (mostly) living in much better conditions and a life expectancy of 70 years (i think...). Try and tell me that isnt a blessing. Kind of going onto the whole progress vs simplicity thing, but the general idea is the same. Another example, my phone. two years ago i didnt have a mobile phone, and i couldnt go out of the house because my parents would not know where i was. Now i can walk around to my friends' houses, hang out, own people at lan parties, and if my parents need to contact me they just need to press a few buttons. Some might say that this induces theft (carrying a mobile phone) but biometrics will hopefully put this into place too.PS.

why George killed Lennie in Of Mice and Men
That would be because if he let Lennie live the angry mob would hang him. Im doing Of Mice and Men as a case study in English :)

That is not true. In the 1800's countless people died each year from the flu and miseales, things that are easily curable today. Alot of people would die from broken bones because of infection.On average we are living longer than any time in history. It is true that there are new diseases today, but a lot (not all) is based on how we live (smoking , drinking, etc)...it can not all be blamed on technology.
That's correct and I totally agree. Technology, namely clean sources of running water, allowed our ancestors the ability to clean themselves and their surroundings which drove away the rats, which drove away the fleas, which lessened the risk of the BLACK DEATH. heh.Many of the diseases that had ravaged our ancestors are minor inconveniences for us today, party because of technology, partly through our own ability to become immune to them. Other diseases our ancestors didn't have to worry about because they weren't introduced until modern times because of the polution that is the byproduct of the production of technology (dioxins, trans fats, radioactive waste, etc). Others because we are lazy (because we rely on technology) and others yet because we are depressed and turn to smoking, drinking, etc. because, I believe, we have been separated from direct contact with humans and the earth because we rely on technology.This is fun. :)

I have to completel;y agree with you there, we have become lazy and we, generally, communitcate to other humans through our technology far more than directly with the person. With some of the clients we have I prefer to keep it that way, :)

I'd say a blessing. Take a look at 10th century London. A city no more than a few miles across and populated by wooden houses. People die aged 40. 50 if you're lucky. Now take a look at 21st century London. Millions of people (mostly) living in much better conditions and a life expectancy of 70 years (i think...). Try and tell me that isnt a blessing. Kind of going onto the whole progress vs simplicity thing, but the general idea is the same. Another example, my phone. two years ago i didnt have a mobile phone, and i couldnt go out of the house because my parents would not know where i was. Now i can walk around to my friends' houses, hang out, own people at lan parties, and if my parents need to contact me they just need to press a few buttons. Some might say that this induces theft (carrying a mobile phone) but biometrics will hopefully put this into place too.PS.That would be because if he let Lennie live the angry mob would hang him. Im doing Of Mice and Men as a case study in English :)
Exactly. But did George outright say "Ok, I'm gonna kill Lennie because otherwise, an angry mob will lynch him and that would be bad. So I'm gonna take this gun and be all merciful and shoot him."Nope. He shot Lennie. :)

Exactly. But did George outright say "Ok, I'm gonna kill Lennie because otherwise, an angry mob will lynch him and that would be bad. So I'm gonna take this gun and be all merciful and shoot him."Nope. He shot Lennie. :)
Well he was thinking it. You could tell by the look on Gary Sinise's face right before he blasted Malkovitch. He was doing Lenny a favor, man!

and also in section 4 when Crooks says that if lennie was put in a home he'd be treated very badly... "They'll lock you up in a cage with a collar, like a dog". damn... my english teacher is really getting to me... :)

There's a saying "it doesn't matter how big is, it's how you use it". True, the context of the saying is another thing (and it's not computer hardware )
'Cause we all know that the only thing that counts with computer hardware is the size, be it Bytes or Hertz... :)