Browser Discussion

Jonas

I can manage all the different browsers positives and negatives, I've always been able to find some work around or make some compromise that I or my client could live with.However, IE still has one MAJOR limitation that has destroyed two concepts that there is no work around. That is the fact that the only way multiple IE windows can talk/see each other is through a client site written cookie. Any session that is created in one IE window is never visible to another. Any other browser I have test has the ability to log in from one browser window and then launching another from the desktop (important difference from File/New Window) has been able to recognize the logged in session without an issue. Just log into a site in one window and then launch, from the start menu another browser (same one of course). The copy and paste your URL and you are in - unless you are using IE.

I can manage all the different browsers positives and negatives, I've always been able to find some work around or make some compromise that I or my client could live with.
Me too. The problem isn't managing it, the problem is you shouldn't have to.

...However, IE still has one MAJOR limitation that has destroyed two concepts that there is no work around....

And have you published this in the IE newsgroup?

And have you published this in the IE newsgroup?

no, but I have had a conversation and in house demonstration with my employers Microsoft representative.

I like FF, since IE dosen't support pngs, or transparent backrounds. Only some. And why you think I care about this?- Because I love to make banners and sprites. It's a hobby. Also, IE get's way outta control, in other words, it's TOO fast.But out of all, I like Netscape the best.

Getting a browser is like getting a car. Some people just go from A to B and would care less about life. But others have to have one of a kind car...FireFox should become more popular. With it you can change anything! I like to know the wether when I come online, so I just look at the top of my screen.. With IE I had to go to google, look up the URL I could never remember, click though links, wait for pages to load... (My Bookmarks or Favorites it to messy to look around in)With FF, I open a window and look in the lower left to see if I have mail... in IE I had to go to hotmail or gmail, login, click mail....Also with FF, there super search engine tool bar... ALL in one (google, yahoo, msn, wiki, and even my search engine!)With IE (man it was on something)... Google toolbar was the lock/unlock, Yahoo was google, msn was standard buttons and added something that took up 1/4 of my screen... I don't know what was happening there (musical toolbars or something)------Another point, there is a website: wikipedia. Any way some news group did a study and found that a free thing anyone can add to is just as good as spending Millions to have college grads with PHDs to do the same thing.This is like FF vs. non-open-source Browsers

well I was working on my server and my friend was hacking and I learned that FireFox is all browsers, so now nothing can be better than FireFox... In FF can't do it, you can just have FF be IE or any other browser.

I have never had ANY problems with IE.I run IE6 and I have never had any reason to complain.  IE even supports XML the best!  (see my signature)LG

you probably just don't go to the adult entertainment web sites that everyone else on here goes to(JK)maybe IE has XML, but it doesn't accept the "application/xhtml" MIME type, which is a big damper on XHTML development.

Okay guys, all of this complaining isn't getting us far. I think we can all agree (except you, LG :evil glare:) that IE has engine problems and security issues, more so than other browsers.So how can we fix this? I see two options for this to become less of a problem:1. convince MS to really fix up IE and back-port the updates through IE 5.5 b/c there are people still using it OR2. make it so that IE is not the main playerNow, for 1, that'll take a while. This is MS we're talking about. They do it for the money, not for the web building community. Reporting bugs will help, but will it actually fix many of the problems? we can only wait for IE7 and see.Option 2 would also prove very difficult, but perhaps it is more possible than 1. IE will continue to ship on Windows systems, that will never stop (in the US at least. the EU has been making headway on WMP though, and IE is next on the agenda, I believe). So, let's get rid of Windows. The alternatives are Macs for users getting a new computer and Fedora/Linspire/Suse and other GUI-intensive user-frinedly Linux distributions for users wanting to put a new OS on their computer. IT guys need to start pushing Linux on their existing systems. the obvious PROS are security, functionality, and price. The cons are support (not a big issue with Red Hat) and hardware compatibility....god I'm an idealist, arent' I? I'm just gonna stop.

The case with IE is too much different then with WMP. You can use IE to find an alternative to WMP but you can't use Windows alone to find an alternative browser.The only workaround for this would be for Microsoft to "submit" themselves by offering direct "one click" download buttons for Fire Fox and Opera and let other browser developers submit their creations by first downloading one of the two and then go to their site.However, as you can all realize, that will never happen. If microsoft let's other people control the browser, they will have to go along with their standart, instead of them making the rules. If they don't make the rules, they risk to loose more then the browser.

What do you(everyone) look for in a browser?loading time?pop-up blocker?extensions?Themes?# of crahes?tabs?Management?tool bars?On my browser, it takes 1 sec to load my browser and my home page. When it comes up, I can see local wether, how many emails I have on all email accounts, music player, I can search google, Yahoo, Amazon, Answers.com, eBay, Wikipedia, and my own search engine in one click. I also have a pong button, IE tab., encoder(23 different kinds), Cookie editor, and Sessions Manager. I can also highlite text and see only that source code, I can copy a link without highliting the text or without going to properties, or change to 6 different themes. Besides that I can insert smilies, special charactors, or html tags just by right hand clicking. To block large pointless images from websites that slow downloading time I just right hand click on the image and click block image. FF also comes with a download manager so I can pause my downloads and find where they went. I can also save the spot I'm in like hibernate, then come back to it at any later date and it's like I never left. All of that takes up about 8% of my browser screen, on my IE 22% of the sceen is taken up, and it only has google and msn tool bars. (I did poll out the rule to messure, and I only messured vertical distance sense everything goes all the way accross the screen. )I've also only crashed FF once, while running a script that also crashed my server and network. The script was a bad idea that would have loaded 20GB worth of data... :):) The script called all the data to be brought up at once... I needed to have it spread out the work load into 4 or 5 day lengths!

This is a very interesting thread - a lot more calm than the old days when I used to browse usenet.I'm probably a little too old for the group but my first browser was Mosaic. It worked but we didn't know what this "www" thing was. When Netscape showed up it was world wide web heaven. But somewhere along the way Netscape really took a dive - and while it is fashionable to blame IE for that, it wasn't just marketshare. Netscape got bad - buggy and hard to use. Once IE won the war, the internet stock bubble crashed and some saner heads prevailed Netscape still went all screwy on me and tried to build an entire OS into a browser.I get the standards issue - but since when has MS played nice with others? I was forced to install and test with FireFox late last year because we have customers using FireFox and we have some web-based features in our products. We had to make some changes (we've been supporting IE and Netscape for years) to support FireFox correctly but we did it. When IE7 hits the mainstream and the next versions of Netscape and FireFox come out we'll probably have to make more changes. That's the nature of our business and as the world continues to move forward this is getting harder, not easier to keep up with.But more specifically again with the browsers - while I appreciated tabbed browsing in FireFox I had to switch back to IE. Too many pages that I visit did not work with FireFox. I had so many error messages pop up and pages fail with FF that I couldn't stand it. So the answer, you say, is FF is extendable and can be made to work with anything. True - but I have absolutely no control over my PC at work. It is locked down. I can't add things to it, I can't install things, I can't configure things. This is typical of a corporate work environment. IE works for *me* out of the box, FF does not. Winner - IE. I don't need to see my email, the weather, listen to music. I need the web pages to view correctly, I've got Outlook, Media Player and a window in the hall for those other items :) I agree you aren't going to move MS by complaining about IE. What will move MS on IE is for all the major players to start prefering FF or something else. Any ideas on the chances of that happening? I'm done rambling - thanks for the board - it's A Good Thing

Hey!I didnt know where to put thi so i put it here!I was recently searching how many free browsers there were and on Wikipedia i found LOADS!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsersI thought someone here might find that interesting!Thats my two cents worth!Ed

Shouldn't this be in the browser discussion topic? Merge?Anyway... nice references.

Shouldn't this be in the browser discussion topic? Merge?Anyway... nice references.

Im so dumb i didnt think too look :) Sorry i know you guys get fed up with things like this! (Ive been on other forums!)I really have to learn :) according to the refferences Jonas posted Mozilla looks like a pretty good browser! Any one got/use it?

What do you(everyone) look for in a browser?loading time?pop-up blocker?extensions?Themes?# of crahes?tabs?Management?tool bars?

I'm on DSL, so loading time usually isn't an issue. Pop-up blockers can be downloaded separately. Don't need extensions if you find a browser you're happy about. Themes are mostly disturbing, and seldomly clean. Give me the default look, and it will be good enough. Tabs is a must. Management and toolbars are not a problem either. Browsers that aren't easily manuvearable become extinct pretty fast. I want a browser that's standards compliant. My choice is Opera. Firefox is also a very good browser.
Shouldn't this be in the browser discussion topic? Merge?

Done.

When i look for a browser i want something which makes me go "WOW thats such a good idea!!" Like when I realised Firefox managed my downloads i thought that was cool (Yer i know thats sad but i found it cool!)Im looking forward to the next edition of firefox and the next opera. I might get those...

Guess who? FireFox 2.OMG! I'M A POET! LOLZ!:)FireFox 2 Alpha Pre-Release is available on download.com. Haven't tried it, it says if you install it, your current version is screwed. Maybe when beta comes out... :)

Guess who? FireFox 2.OMG! I'M A POET! LOLZ!:)FireFox 2 Alpha Pre-Release is available on download.com. Haven't tried it, it says if you install it, your current version is screwed. Maybe when beta comes out... :)

Wow i just found that...Ummmm
Note: Beta or prerelease software is not intended for inexperienced users, as the software may contain bugs or may potentially damage your system. We strongly recommend that users exercise caution and save all mission-critical data before installing or using this software.
Maybe not then :)

//Double post//Hey justa second :)http://www.download.com/Internet-Explorer-...tml?tag=tab_pubIsnt IE7 the new browser for Windows Vista?Does it work on Xp :):) Does anyone know a date for the realease of windows vista and IE7???

Vista Should* be good!(* Cant be much worse than XP really! With the constant errors and the annoying start up sounds...)