Browser Discussion

Jonas

Back on track... IE7... Is there going to be a New version of Outlook with it?

I'm thinking Outlook Express will be gone with Vista, and there'll only be a new Microsoft Outlook with each new Office Package. Or perhaps an Outlook Live, to mirror the new Live series of MS.

This is the "updated" post for running IE6 and IE7 side by side. Now it is important to not that the auther updated this post because the previous version of his article resulted in long term problems with IE6 service packs.So iwht that in mind...use with caution...I wouldn't install this unless you can afford to have a crash... :) ... AKA a test machine.http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2.../28/434132.aspx

I have IE7 and IE6 but I'm using another method. Perhaps it's the old one, cause it's making h#ll out of my browsing experience.The whole trick is... yeah, you've guessed it. Extract the exe file with WinRAR or something. The difference in my approach however is that to run IE7 I create an empty file in the folder it's all extracted called IEXPLORE.local. Then just run iexplore.exe and it's all done.Remember NOT to set IE7 as the default browser, even if IE6 was your default one. This would disable you to view pages in IE6 comletely.I have made posts here describing what difficulties this method has, but just the most important ones:

• You can't browse in both IE6 and IE7. One at a time. Otherwise, they'll both crash.
  • Drop-down menus, opening links in new windows don't work in IE7.
  • Opening configuration dialog for IE7 crashes it.
  • Conditional comments for IE7 don't work. Instead, it threats itself as IE6.
  • Any window you place in front of IE7's interface would result in a "copy" of it over IE7 interface, until another application is placed on that spot.
  • When you type an adress in IE6 or click a link from the links toolbar, it opens about 3 new widnows before it opens the content or just crashes.
  • The only way to see a page in IE6 is to open it from a "non-browser" source. Like a file or a link from an instant messanger (I'm using ICQ for that). That's infact the reason why you mustn't set IE7 as the default browser: if it is, links from IMs would open in it. IE6 must be the default browser if you want to use it.

If you have genuine copies of Windows you could possibly unistall IE7 every time you want to see a page in IE6 though. I know it's uncomfortable, but it's still a possibility which won't cause all theese inconviniences. This old method is still good if all you need is to gaze at IE7s rendering engine.

:) im not a kidim just not an adult :)

Didn't Britney say this . . . not a girl, not yet a woman . . . :) so we have concluded that IE7 does indeed ######!

:)You've taken your first step into a larger world... :)Next: Opera.

I'd say it was the other way around, but that's just me. It's still a long way and many steps to go before IE is no longer the dominating browser, or at least Microsoft finds they have to make their browser a bigger priority than updating it every few years.

Well in the movie I posted earlier, there was the moment where they all agreed 5 years is too long, so we could (not exactly promised) expect IE8 in less then 5 years after IE7.

Well in the movie I posted earlier, there was the moment where they all agreed 5 years is too long, so we could (not exactly promised) expect IE8 in less then 5 years after IE7.

Great, by then CSS4 and XHTML3 will be out and IE will be trying ot implement CSS3 and XHTML2 :) :)

LOL. :)Less than 5 years (4?) is still a long time to wait between two browser updates though, compared to the likes of Firefox and Opera...

Yeah, I realize that too. They didn't mentioned an exact amount of months nor years, but they are working on IE8 and will release it sooner.In the movie, there's also the point that not everyone likes upgrading their browser so often. You may like it, I may like it, but huge corporations, schools, etc. ran by computer newbies (yeah... schools too... you know today's teachers) are all places where people either update automatically or don't update at all.Every upgrade they make is suppose to be critical, so a monthly update is not something they'll do. Because of them, Microsoft is trying to estabilish a pattern where everyone will be willing to upgrade, thus developers being happy not to take older versions into consideration that long. I mean, just imagine to have a computer or virtual PC for every montly build of IE for the last couple of years, or ignoring those old browsers, thus forcing your clients to ignore your site until they decide to upgrade. It's all balance points.That leads us to IEs worst problem- not being able to have 2 or more versions working effectively. As you'll see, MS are aware of that and are trying to work around it, but with no success so far. Oh, just watch the movie. It contains tons of valuable info.

LG, why can't you get FF??------I think my browsers are getting damaged by my use. As a web developer I write alot of code even if I don't post. Anyway I use Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C... but they have stopped working in FF and IE. Also my ' button sometimes becomes Ctrl+F. I do use these buttons alot!! I also click very fast, I don't wait for things to load. (I once froze a virus because it couldn't block keywords on someone's computer I was trying to fix) Also in FF my browser crashes because I scroll while a page loads (I don't know about IE, I don't use it that much)Maybe, could this also be a Windows problem, I have not had this problem on Fedora Core 5.

If shortcut keys stop working in a specific program, it's probably the program's fault. Maybe try reinstalling Firefox and see if that fixes it. If not, and especially if IE has the same issues, you might need to reinstall Windows or search for another fix.

If you guys haven't seen this article, here's a look back at the worst tech products of the last 25 years, courtesy of PC World. The honors for being the very worst go to none other than AOL. And rounding out Microsoft's three top-10 entries (just after Windows ME and Microsoft BOB) is....

8. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (2001)Full of features, easy to use, and a virtual engraved invitation to hackers and other digital delinquents, Internet Explorer 6.x might be the least secure software on the planet. How insecure? In June 2004, the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) took the unusual step of urging PC users to use a browser--any browser--other than IE. Their reason: IE users who visited the wrong Web site could end up infected with the Scob or Download.Ject keylogger, which could be used to steal their passwords and other personal information. Microsoft patched that hole, and the next one, and the one after that, and so on, ad infinitum.
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,a...772,pg,2,00.asp

Some people here talk about how Microsoft and how they can't improve IE because they have other projects... Well Microsoft is a company with many departments. Like Windows, Xbox, IE, MSN.com........... If the IE group which works on both free and paid versions of there browser can't get to the free one, they should work more like Fedora and Red Hat. Where one leaches off the other one but they don't share the same work groups.------"Hey, look Microsoft invented a new internet call FireFox." "Ryan, that's not a new internet and it's not make by Mircosoft... it's another browser." "Dan, your stupid, you don't know what you talking about, it's the new internet!"You know people are just going to like Microsoft more when other products that are better than Mircosoft's one come out because they have brain washed half the world into thinking they make everything to do with computers.Yet again in school... "Ipod is made by Apple, not Microsoft.... Not the fruit, the company... yeah, why would a fruit make computer stuff.."

Some people here talk about how Microsoft and how they can't improve IE because they have other projects... Well Microsoft is a company with many departments. Like Windows, Xbox, IE, MSN.com........... If the IE group which works on both free and paid versions of there browser can't get to the free one, they should work more like Fedora and Red Hat. Where one leaches off the other one but they don't share the same work groups.------"Hey, look Microsoft invented a new internet call FireFox." "Ryan, that's not a new internet and it's not make by Mircosoft... it's another browser." "Dan, your stupid, you don't know what you talking about, it's the new internet!"You know people are just going to like Microsoft more when other products that are better than Mircosoft's one come out because they have brain washed half the world into thinking they make everything to do with computers.Yet again in school... "Ipod is made by Apple, not Microsoft.... Not the fruit, the company... yeah, why would a fruit make computer stuff.."

MS will never go Open Source. That I would stake just about everything on. And it is not that they can't improve IE its that they don't give high enough priority among all their other products.IE needs to be re-written not have more band-aids pasted to it...but again, probably won't happen in my life-time :)