Can we Learn Java in this site

Guest callivir

Guest callivir

I really like this site it is very informative.it contains all of my questions about building websites...however since i am pretty much hungry to more informationand interestecd in Java (especially Applet..) i really hope you will include a Tutorial about this language.Where can i get a reliable source code for Perl scripti want to create a chatterbox in my webpage but i can't do iti am trying to use PHP form you have put in your tutorial...but i still not do it...

This is a web building site, they don't handle Java. Not to mention writing a whole tutorial on Java would take a really, really long time.Search Google for the chatbox scripts.Hope that helped a bit. :)~Chocolate570

Would it be possible to make a section on these forums for JSP/Java? Even though there are no tutorials it would still be helpful if people could ask questions about it.Java Server Pages seems to be the only rival to the .Net technology (for compiled code, I know PHP is still big).

Would it be possible to make a section on these forums for JSP/Java? Even though there are no tutorials it would still be helpful if people could ask questions about it.Java Server Pages seems to be the only rival to the .Net technology (for compiled code, I know PHP is still big).

I agree. I've also asked kaijim to add a section for Cold Fusion since it, too, is a server side scripting language.

There arent any "Web Standards" for scripting languages. They have their own compilers and their own syntax and rules. In the end it only matters if they produce web standard HTML for the browser.Web Standards are for client languages, Server side languages never go to the browser but send the processed result to the browser.They may not be used as much as the languages on this site but they both still have a fairly large following.

Coldfusion and others aren't as popularly used as javascript and php and asp, therefore until the demand for pages of them increases, i don't think it's a good idea to invest the time into making a tutorial.Java does need a plugin to view. Plus like i said earlier, java is like the english language...there are so many things to learn!

Coldfusion and others aren't as popularly used as javascript and php and asp, therefore until the demand for pages of them increases, i don't think it's a good idea to invest the time into making a tutorial.

Well, given my back ground and specialization, it's no surprise I will disagree with this statement. Just because something is not popular doesn't mean that you should not be informed about it. In fact, that is even more of a reason to offer educational tutorials on the languages so that people can see that there are more than one or two options available. In any case, I doubt we will see the tutorials here anytime soon since, like php and asp, cold fusion needs a server side installation - which either requires a new host or the purchase of the server - the later being the only draw back to cold fusion. But my point was not to add a tutorial section on w3schools.com but to at least add a new scripting language section called "Other Scripting Languages (i.e. Cold Fusion, Java, JSP, etc.)" just give that much of a hint to others. My impression is the goal of w3schools.com is to educate - there is no room for descimination in education. :)

You are thinking of JavaScript which is a client-side scripting language.

:) If I was speaking of javascript, I wouldn't have mentioned Java requires a plugin to use :) . Anyways, to repeat my question: Isn't Java interpretted by the java plugin installed on the computer? Thus it isn't interpretted on the server, and is client-side, right?

:) If I was speaking of javascript, I wouldn't have mentioned Java requires a plugin to use :) . Anyways, to repeat my question: Isn't Java interpretted by the java plugin installed on the computer? Thus it isn't interpretted on the server, and is client-side, right?

Actually, java is compiled - sort of like a dll or any other exe file. So the java "plugin" simply allows java files to be executed inside the browser. So java is not interpretted it is executed. The only thing the browser does is pass parameters into the plugin which feeds it to the compiled java code.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This is a web building site, they don't handle Java. Not to mention writing a whole tutorial on Java would take a really, really long time.Search Google for the chatbox scripts.Hope that helped a bit. :)~Chocolate570

Well, since Java have Applets and Servlets/Jsp and since it is the main Internet programming language, I disagree.I see your point though, the question suggestion have been to include Jsp/Servlets, not Java as in the programming language Java. But it would be great if you started making some good programming language tutorials as well:)

• 3 years later...
Well, given my back ground and specialization, it's no surprise I will disagree with this statement. Just because something is not popular doesn't mean that you should not be informed about it. In fact, that is even more of a reason to offer educational tutorials on the languages so that people can see that there are more than one or two options available. In any case, I doubt we will see the tutorials here anytime soon since, like php and asp, cold fusion needs a server side installation - which either requires a new host or the purchase of the server - the later being the only draw back to cold fusion. But my point was not to add a tutorial section on w3schools.com but to at least add a new scripting language section called "Other Scripting Languages (i.e. Cold Fusion, Java, JSP, etc.)" just give that much of a hint to others. My impression is the goal of w3schools.com is to educate - there is no room for descimination in education. :)
I agree on that. I too would like a tutorial including helpful information about the programming language Java, and I do not think it should be left because it is not popular enough or something like that. Many people would want to know how they make a Java applet, ie. embedded in a webpage. But just like PHP, a tutorial (containing or about) Java would not mean the server should be prepared to actually run it; like in the PHP tutorial, it would be a security risk to let people run the server-side language. I don't specifically mean Java may experience security risks that way, but similarly anyway, it does not actually need a try-it editor.In the PHP tutorial there is no editor either, we complain, yes, but I understand why and accept it should better get a workaround to overcome the risk, rather than a try-it editor with risks whatsoever. However, back to Java, I do not think it will be easy to spend time on a Java tutorial or one like "Other (...) languages" because it is not that small and could become quite complex. But as it could be helpful for the programmers already using it, as well as educational for the ones new to the language, it would be an asset to the site.Besides, even though Java itself is seen as server-side, I still do not think it is. I agree it is compiled code, but what defines server-side? To let it actually run on a server, or to be prepared at the server and run in the client? What does this mean in relation to the reason why not to add a tutorial about Java? Edited by Dan The Prof

However, back to Java, I do not think it will be easy to spend time on a Java tutorial or one like "Other (...) languages" because it is not that small and could become quite complex.
That's a bit of an understatement. There are entire university courses devoted to learning Java. Java is no less complex than C++. That's to say that it is as easy to write a comprehensive Java tutorial as it is to write a comprehensive C++ tutorial.
Besides, even though Java itself is seen as server-side, I still do not think it is. I agree it is compiled code, but what defines server-side? To let it actually run on a server, or to be prepared at the server and run in the client?
Java isn't necessarily server-side or client-side, it's a compiled language that runs in a virtual machine to make it platform-independent. It can be used server-side, as can C++, it can also be used to write a regular desktop application that requires the JVM to be installed, it's a regular full-featured programming language though. They might be able to set up a tutorial to teach specific parts of it, like JSP or applets for a browser, but it's pretty hard to learn only a part of a language without understanding the rest of it.

Then, I might understand the delay or whatever choice made not to add a Java tutorial. But could it then not be easier to add an OOP tutorial rather than Java, C++ or any other language C-based? Many C-based languages are OOP, and when one language is Object Oriented, you have seen them all. Although that is what I experienced when I started learning Java at school (2 weeks, done) Now it got me developing games, without an indepth study of the language or library, I only know the technique the language is buildt on, the basics of OOP, and with that, I can program in Java already. I do not see any reason choosing against adding a tutorial that instructs to simplify any study in Java or OOP for that matter :)

Edited by Dan The Prof

You could have an OOP tutorial, but you would need a language to use as an example that people could run and play with. You can describe concepts like inheritance and polymorphism that would apply to most OOP languages, but you would need to show examples using a real language that people can execute.You can have a tutorial on OOP concepts, but then you get into the question of whether a generic OOP tutorial belongs on a site for web programming.

Edited by justsomeguy