Why ORACLE is called ORACLE ???

Masroor Hussain

Well, according to the Wikipedia article about the Oracle Database:

The name Oracle comes from the code-name of a CIA-funded project Ellison had worked on while previously employed by Ampex.
Next time, google it before you ask.

Edit: I spent so long waiting for the Oracle website's timeline to load that boen_robot got to post first :)---:) is that question relevant?Well, Oracle is called so because it is produced by Oracle Corporation. Why is the Oracle Corporation called as such? According to Wikipedia:

Larry Ellison and his friends and former co-workers Bob Miner and Ed Oates started the consultancy Software Development Laboratories (SDL) in 1977. SDL developed the original version of the Oracle software. The name Oracle comes from the code-name of a CIA-funded project Ellison had worked on while previously employed by Ampex.
While I wouldn't trust Wikipedia that much for well-founded reasons, I can't seem to find any additional information on the web (you could try http://www.oracle.com/timeline/index.html but it didn't load for me).

From the link Synook posted:"Silicon Valley-based software engineers Larry Ellison, Bob Miner, and Ed Oates found a consulting company, Software Development Laboratories (SDL), and pick up a contract with the CIA to build a special database program code-named "Oracle"."

In addition to whatever CIA programs were out there, the ancient Greeks had an Oracle that they consulted when they had questions, the Oracle was said to have the answers. A database is essentially a repository for knowledge.

Archived