Create Categories for different sections

Lykos22

Lets take for example the following tables

Posts-------------------------postID (pk)titlecategoryID (fk)etc etcProducts-----------------------productID (pk)namecategoryID (fk)etc etcFaqs---------------------faqID (pk)questioncategoryID (fk)etc etc

All 3 tables contain a field categoryID, so basicle each post, product, question etc belong to a specific category. I'd like to know which is the best way to create my categories.

1. Create n-different category tables each time, such as posts_categories, products_categories, faq_categories etc etc, so basicly there all will be indipendent.

2. Create a single table for all categories with the following fields

Categories--------------------categoryIDcategorytype * // values (probably set as ENUM type - from a dropdown menu): posts, products, faqs etc etc 

Example

[table=width: 500][tr] [td]categoryID[/td] [td]category[/td] [td]type[/td][/tr][tr] [td]1[/td] [td]Science[/td] [td]posts[/td][/tr][tr] [td]2[/td] [td]Shirts[/td] [td]products[/td][/tr][tr] [td]3[/td] [td]Design[/td] [td]faqs[/td][/tr][/table]Which do you believe is the best way to organize my categories ???

I'd do it flexibly. You're bound to change it as you develop your scripts.

Thanks for your reply.

I'd do it flexibly. You're bound to change it as you develop your scripts.

What do you mean? 1st way?

What ever you decide, you're bound to change, so don't spend too much time deciding. Your first thought is probably good enough to get started.