Starting Up

Protossumo

Hello everyone. I am very eager to begin creating the code for my website and to eventually be putting up my website. I have a couple questions I wished to ask whoever might have some constructive words. First, in order to host my own website or what not. I need to purchase the domain name I would like. Correct? Second, should I buy servers and host it off of those or would it be more efficient to host it using someone else's server, somewhere else? Where might the best places to go for hosting be? Third, I was wondering if anyone around here would be interested in giving me a little one on one help over email or messages on the forums? Guidance would greatly be appreciated in setting up my new website and if I encounter any errors, I am quite new so I would not know how to solve them. Finally, is it fairly simple to create HTML or XHTML that is readable by all internet browsers? I read a little bit into it and heard Explorer can be sometimes annoying to code for so that it works properly.

• Like 2

First, in order to host my own website or what not. I need to purchase the domain name I would like. Correct?
Usualy, but nescecarily. If you host in any 3rd party host they will give you a subdomain for free. in further if you need your domain you have to but it.
Second, should I buy servers and host it off of those or would it be more efficient to host it using someone else's server, somewhere else?
Nowdays 3rd party servers are very cheap so it would be best to start with them if you are just begining. you can change your server plan with your needs in time without in major investment. They also will maintain the server which will reduce your your time and effort.
Where might the best places to go for hosting be?
just search in googles there are plenty of hosts. you can also check the webservver subforum of this forum.
Third, I was wondering if anyone around here would be interested in giving me a little one on one help over email or messages on the forums? Guidance would greatly be appreciated in setting up my new website and if I encounter any errors, I am quite new so I would not know how to solve them.
This is what this board is for. you can ask your queries or problems in related forums and we will try to help you. I dont think anyone will have time to solve the issues personaly through email or message. this forum is quite active and you will probably be answered much faster than that.
Finally, is it fairly simple to create HTML or XHTML that is readable by all internet browsers? I read a little bit into it and heard Explorer can be sometimes annoying to code for so that it works properly.
creting xhtml and html pages is fairly easy. Browser compatibilty comes into play when you use CSS or javascript to them, which is quite browser dependent. Explorer was always a pain. but with IE9 it almost same as other browser with common standards.

Thank you Birbal, I greatly appreciated your answers! :P CSS what is this exactly? I've heard of various frame works people use to make building the basics of a website easier and faster. What would you guys recommend? I also know there are a few programs that will nearly automatically write the xhtml or html themselves. I've heard if you want to do it quickly this is the way to go. On the other hand, I know it gives me a lack of customization and ability to fix my own problems when they arise.

CSS what is this exactly?
http://w3schools.com/css Frameworks are good once you know the language and concepts to make things faster. there is different fameworks for different language. avoid those automated software for now untill you grasp the concepts and the language.

I think you are talking about programs like Dreamweaver which attempt to offer a GUI alternative to coding a website, but I don't think that you can really avoid coding. That means learning HTML and CSS in order to be able to create basic webpages. Those tutorials are available here. All you need is notepad and your browser and you can create a webpage that consists of an html file on your desktop. You then FTP that file to your hosting account. The HTML and CSS tutorials are here;http://www.w3schools...tml/default.asphttp://www.w3schools...css/default.asp For opinions on hosting services you might look at the forums here;http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ Although most web hosts will sell you a domain name with a hosting package some people have complained that it is sometimes difficult to get them to relinquish your domain name if you later decide to move to a different host.

Edited by davej

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you DaveJ, I checked out some of those tutorials and as a measuring of my skills I have decided to take the quizzes now for HTML and CSS and then take the quizzes when I feel proficient in the material. I am thinking about getting the certificate once I feel confident. Would a certificate from w3schools in any of these online languages help me to have a better resume for jobs? My first result for the HTML quiz was a 45% so I know the language a little, but obviously I need some more work and practice.