<!--[if lte IE 8 ]--> ELSE?

confused and dazed

Hello internet.

I am starting to work with media Querys (like ones below):

@media screen and (max-width : 460px) { .someclassname {display: block;} }

I am struggling to style IE10 browsers and below (I anticipate half of my users will be IE folks) because the media querys will not work for them. I can use the conditional statement below but the browser will still attempt to put the rest of the code on the page making it look all screwed up:

<!--[if lte IE 8 ]>

SOME CODE

<![endif]-->

A BUNCH MORE CODE

How do I use html conditional statements to get rid of “A BUNCH MORE CODE” on the site?

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html

<!DOCTYPE html><head lang="en"><meta charset="utf-8"><title>IE conditionals</title><!--[if !IE]> --><style>/* this style block is not for IE */p{ color:green;}</style><!-- <![endif]--><!--[if IE]><style>/* this style block is for IE */p{ color:red;}</style><![endif]--></head><body><p>Hello: RED if IE -- GREEN if not IE</p></body></html>
Edited by davej

<!--[if !IE]> -->

...But I think the more traditional approach is to apply a universal style and then apply IE fixes as overrides...

<link rel="stylesheet" href="normal-styles.css" type="text/css" /><!--[if IE 9]><link rel="stylesheet" href="ie9-fixes.css" type="text/css" /><![endif]--><!--[if lte IE 8]><link rel="stylesheet"  href="ie5678-fixes.css" type="text/css" /><![endif]-->
Edited by davej

<link rel="stylesheet" href="normal-styles.css" type="text/css" /><link rel="stylesheet" href="ie9-fixes.css" type="text/css" /><link rel="stylesheet" href="ie5678-fixes.css" type="text/css" />Where do you get these files?

they were examples to illustrate his point for each condition...