Your default way for making a centered buttons

Trick_Master990

So, yeah, I want to know your style. Maybe I can optimize mine from it. Here's mine:HTML

<div id="wrap">     <div id="menu">           <a class="button" href="main.html" class="button">Button 1</a>           <a class="button" href="" class="button">Button 2</a>           <a class="button" href="" class="button">Button 3</a>           <a class="button" href="" class="button">Button 4</a>     </div></div>

CSS

#wrap {       text-align: center;    margin-top: -7px;}#menu {    display: inline-block;}.button {    background-color: #000000;    color: #FFFFFF;    width: 100px;    padding: 5px;    text-align: center;    text-decoration: none;    float: left;}

I don't think you should need the outer wrapper, and the prefered way to center is with margin: auto. You probably don't need the negative margin if you eliminate the extra line feed you get because of the using the wrapper. Why are you using float:left if you want centered alignment?

#menu {width:70vw;text-align: center;margin: -7px auto 0 auto;.button {background-color: #000000;color: #FFFFFF;width: 100px;padding: 5px;text-align: center;text-decoration: none;float: left;}

The value of the width probably needs adjustment based on actually content and the devices being targeted.

Without using the float, the anchor element being a inline element would ignore the width applied. Using display: inline-block; you would have the problem of spacing showing between each link because on how the layout of links is stacked, and not butted together, UNLESS! You 0 the font-size: for #menu and reinstate font-size for actual anchor links themselves.

The reason for -7px top margin is probably required cuz the body margin has not been reset to 0;

Edited by dsonesuk

You are duplicating class for 'button'

The old method was to use position: relative as below, but usually this would be applied to parent container and UL of the a menu using unordered list.

#menu {                /*display: inline-block; removed by dsonesuk*/                float: left; /* added by dsonesuk*/                position: relative; /* added by dsonesuk*/                left:50%; /* added by dsonesuk*/            }            .button {                background-color: #000000;                color: #FFFFFF;                width: 100px;                padding: 5px;                text-align: center;                text-decoration: none;                float: left;                                position:relative;/* added by dsonesuk*/                left: -50%;/* added by dsonesuk*/            }