Apache2 Minor Upgrades - The config.nice File

iwato

QUESTION ONE; Why do I have two apache2 folders: one in ../local and the other in ../local/www ?QUESTION TWO: When implementing the below code which config.nice file (local or www) should be used and why? Can I use either and obtain the same result. Or, must I use both?

$ ./config.nice	$ make	$ make install	$ PREFIX/bin/apachectl -k graceful-stop	$ PREFIX/bin/apachectl -k start

BACKGROUND: When upgrading from Apache 2.4.10-DEVEL to Apache 2.4.12 the Apache team advises use of the config.nice file. Unfortunately, it does not tell which one or ones to use. I have two, both of which were installed by MacPorts. One is located in ../local/apache2/build/ and the other in ../local/www/apache2/build.

Is that from a clean install? Do the folders contain the same files? The Apache files should not be accessible from the web root.

In answer to your first question I will quote myself: "I have two, both of which were installed by MacPorts."In answer to your second question, no, the content of the folders is not identical. The local/www/ folder has both similar, but different and much less content. For example, the httpd program exists in the local/apache2/bin/ folder, but does not appear in the local/www/apache2/ folder. In fact, the latter folder does not even contain a bin folder. The installation is neither mistaken, nor arbitrary!"The Apache files should not be accessible from the web root." Yes, but from within server file system the web files may be accessed from the server root.

Well, ok then. It sounds like you have one version of Apache installed inside the web root of another version of Apache. Hopefully that answers your question as to why you see 2 folders for Apache.

When upgrading from Apache 2.4.10-DEVEL to Apache 2.4.12 the Apache team advises use of the config.nice file. Unfortunately, it does not tell which one or ones to use. I have two, both of which were installed by MacPorts.

That sounds like you have 2 config.nice files, not 2 complete Apache installs. I'm not trying to be dense here, I'm trying to help you with your questions. You could help me by not answering with sarcasm.

Well, ok then. It sounds like you have one version of Apache installed inside the web root of another version of Apache. Hopefully that answers your question as to why you see 2 folders for Apache.That sounds like you have 2 config.nice files, not 2 complete Apache installs. I'm not trying to be dense here, I'm trying to help you with your questions. You could help me by not answering with sarcasm.

Quoting myself is not sarcasm. It is an alert to you to read my questions well before replying. It will save us both, and anyone else who is interested, a lot of wasted effort. Please try not to be defensive.

Well, ok then. It sounds like you have one version of Apache installed inside the web root of another version of Apache. Hopefully that answers your question as to why you see 2 folders for Apache.

I do not believe this to be true, as I recall a similar option (local and www) offered in the MAMP Pro user interface. The configuration that I have now appear to have been automatically created by the MacPorts installation. Furthermore, based on my previous experience with MAMP Pro, it appears to be a standard file system on UNIX-based machines.

That sounds like you have 2 config.nice files, not 2 complete Apache installs.

Yes, this does appear to be the case. The question is why, and how should they be employed for their apparent designated purpose -- minor upgrade installation of the httpd server?

It is an alert to you to read my questions well before replying.

I read it as well as I could. When you said this:

I have two, both of which were installed by MacPorts.

What does "two" refer to? Does it refer to config.nice files? Complete Apache installs? I don't know, it's ambiguous, so I asked. If I ask a question that means I did not get the answer from what you already wrote, so instead of just quoting yourself you should explain what you meant. Don't come back with "you should read carefully" as if you explained everything perfectly well the first time. If I'm asking a question then there is obviously a disconnect. And now we're talking about this instead of addressing your actual issue, which isn't helping anyone. If I ask a question, it's because I don't know the answer and I'm looking for clarification, not a copy and paste of what you already wrote. If what you already wrote was clear enough then I wouldn't have asked the question.

Furthermore, based on my previous experience with MAMP Pro, it appears to be a standard file system on UNIX-based machines.

That's not my experience. We run several dedicated servers on CentOS, and all of them have a single Apache installation location with a config file that creates individual sites and document roots, and none of those document roots has an additional Apache directory inside them. There is only one Apache installation directory on each server. I have no experience with MacPorts specifically and can't tell you how it works, but each of our Linux servers has a single location for the Apache installation.

The question is why, and how should they be employed for their apparent designated purpose -- minor upgrade installation of the httpd server?

It sounds like you're asking how MacPorts works, and I can't answer that, I don't know what it did when it installed Apache. This is what the Apache manual says:

To upgrade across minor versions, start by finding the file config.nice in the build directory of your installed server or at the root of the source tree for your old install. This will contain the exact configure command line that you used to configure the source tree. Then to upgrade from one version to the next, you need only copy the config.nice file to the source tree of the new version, edit it to make any desired changes, and then run:$ ./config.nice$ make$ make install$ PREFIX/bin/apachectl -k graceful-stop$ PREFIX/bin/apachectl -k start

Emphasis is mine. It sounds like the www directory is neither a build directory nor the root of the source, it sounds like a document root.
  • Like 1

I read it as well as I could. When you said this: What does "two" refer to? Does it refer to config.nice files? Complete Apache installs? I don't know, it's ambiguous, so I asked. If I ask a question that means I did not get the answer from what you already wrote, so instead of just quoting yourself you should explain what you meant. Don't come back with "you should read carefully" as if you explained everything perfectly well the first time. If I'm asking a question then there is obviously a disconnect. And now we're talking about this instead of addressing your actual issue, which isn't helping anyone. If I ask a question, it's because I don't know the answer and I'm looking for clarification, not a copy and paste of what you already wrote. If what you already wrote was clear enough then I wouldn't have asked the question. That's not my experience. We run several dedicated servers on CentOS, and all of them have a single Apache installation location with a config file that creates individual sites and document roots, and none of those document roots has an additional Apache directory inside them. There is only one Apache installation directory on each server. I have no experience with MacPorts specifically and can't tell you how it works, but each of our Linux servers has a single location for the Apache installation. It sounds like you're asking how MacPorts works, and I can't answer that, I don't know what it did when it installed Apache. This is what the Apache manual says: Emphasis is mine. It sounds like the www directory is neither a build directory nor the root of the source, it sounds like a document root.

I am sorry that you are so easily confused and will let the others judge your command of the English language. My purpose is to understand the nature of my file structure and how to implement the config.nice file. In any case thank you for your effort. I will redirect my question to the MacPorts people. Hopefully, they can offer a clear explanation.

I am sorry that you are so easily confused and will let the others judge your command of the English language.

Wow... well, best of luck of with getting help from others. I can only hope you treat them with a little more respect then you do / did those around here.

Wow... well, best of luck of with getting help from others. I can only hope you treat them with a little more respect then you do / did those around here.

Respect is something to be earned. It is not something to be taken for granted. This applies to both the teacher and the student.

Are you some sore of elected official that you can speak on behalf of the entire forum? You are obviously very supportive of JSG.

Respect is something to be earned. It is not something to be taken for granted. This applies to both the teacher and the student.

Exactly my point. Requesting clarification for an issue you are bring forward for help with, shouldn't be treated with snarky replies. This was something I saw in your posts back when you were active, and it seems it's sill prevalent now. It's just an observation, but it is not how I usually engage with people I am asking help from. Both personally and professionally.

Remember, participation on the forum is provided by users giving up their their _free_ time and expertise. I tend to respect that.

Are you some sore of elected official that you can speak on behalf of the entire forum?

I am a moderator of this forum if that's what you're trying to get at.

You are obviously very supportive of JSG.

Yes, because I have been on this forum for a few years now and I personally respect a lot of the help and support he provides here. I can't count the number of things I have learned from reading his posts.

Also watching him interact with users of all skill levels on this forum is very enlightening as that is something that I have to deal with on a daily basis training and managing teams of developers of all skill levels. It reminds me to be humble myself because no one knows everything, and as such, I make sure to keep that in mind when I run into problems that I ask my colleagues about.

To be clear, I'm not attacking, just observing and commenting. As a moderator it is part of my job to make sure discourse is fair and in line with the guidelines and netiqutte defined in the forum rules.

• Like 1