Calling a Function with Arguments with a button

citizen2

I am new to this and have almost achieved what i would like to achieve. I want the complete output text (which comprises of plain text + text from the function to only appear once a button is clicked. At the moment the plain text appears immediately and the text from the function appears as soon as the text box is populated.
i have tried to use: <button type="button" onclick="updateTxt()">Run</button> but cant get it to work. Please help
<html>
<script type="text/javascript">
function updateTxt(field,toField, toField2){
var field = document.getElementById(field);
var toField = document.getElementById(toField);
var toField2 = document.getElementById(toField2);
toField.innerHTML=field.value;
toField2.innerHTML=field.value;
}
</script>
Name: <input type="text" id="box1" onkeyup="updateTxt('box1','txt1', 'txt111');"></BR>
Country: <input type="text" id="box2" onkeyup="updateTxt('box2','txt2');"></BR>
My name is <span id="txt1"></span>, and i named my son <span id="txt111"></span> too. We live in <span id="txt2"></span>
</html>

Here is the code i tried to put together when using the button, but it doesn't do anything, the text appears before the button is pressed. I also tried to change 'onkeyup' to 'onclick' but that doesn't work either.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
function updateTxt(field,toField, toField2){
var field = document.getElementById(field);
var toField = document.getElementById(toField);
var toField2 = document.getElementById(toField2);
toField.innerHTML=field.value;
toField2.innerHTML=field.value;
}
</script>
Name: <input type="text" id="box1" onkeyup="updateTxt('box1','txt1', 'txt111');"></BR>
<button onclick="updateTxt(toField, toField2)">Run</button></BR>
My name is <span id="txt1"></span>, and i named my son <span id="txt111"></span> too. We live in <span id="txt2"></span>
</html>

You're not passing the same parameters in the <button> element as in the <input> elements.

updateTxt(toField, toField2) is not the same as updateTxt('box1','txt1', 'txt111')

toField and toField2 don't have a value in that context either, so it's not going to do anything.

So i changed <button onclick="updateTxt(toField, toField2)"> to <button onclick="updateTxt(field, toField, toField2)".

now i understand what you mean by toField and toField2 not having a value because i want the value to be based on what is entered in the box.

When i run this without a button it works fine, toField and toField2 are assigned values by the user. i.e:

so how do i get it to run only once the button is clicked? is this the right way to go about it?

Well, I'm just going to organize your code a bit and make it work and hopefully you can learn by comparing to the code you started off with

<!DOCTYPE html><html>    <head>        <title>Javascript and buttons</title>        <script>         function updateTxt(inputID, outputID){             var inputElement = document.getElementById(inputID);             var outputElement = document.getElementById(outputID);             outputElement.innerHTML = inputElement.value;        }        </script>     </head>    <body>    <div>        My Name: <input type="text" id="myname"><br>        Son's Name: <input type="text" id="sonsname"><br>        Country: <input type="text" id="country"><br>        <button type="button" onclick="updateTxt('myname', 'output1'); updateTxt('sonsname', 'output2'); updateTxt('country', 'output3');">Run</button><br>        <p>My name is <span id="output1"></span>, and i named my son <span id="output2"></span> too. We live in <span id="output3"></span>.</p>    </div></html>
  • Like 1

wow, that's perfect, and much cleaner, makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much.

im still stuck on the last part, howto hide the text part completely until i click the button i.e.: <p>My name is <span id="output1"></span>, and i named my son <span id="output2"></span> too. We live in <span id="output3"></span>.</p>

i found a script which unhides the text but im having trouble putting the two together, and im sure there must be a better way to do it

here is the unhide script which i have to admit i didnt write, im still new to this, but im trying to put the two together:

<!DOC HTML>

<html>
<head>
function unhide(divID) {
var sel = document.getElementById('2').getElementsByTagName('div');
for (var i=0; i<sel.length; i++) {
if (sel.id != divID) { sel.className = 'hidden'; }
}
var item = document.getElementById(divID);
if (item) {
item.className=(item.className=='hidden')?'unhidden':'hidden';
}
}
</script>
<style type="text/css">
.hidden { visibility: hidden; }
.unhidden { visibility: visible; }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="1">
<a href="javascript:unhide('hiddencontent1')">Run</a>
</div>
<div id="2">
<div id="hiddencontent1" class="hidden">
<p>My name is <span id="output1"></span>, and i named my son <span id="output2"></span> too. We live in <span id="output3"></span>.</p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

ok im sure im still way off, but i think im getting closer:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Javascript and buttons</title>
<script>
function updateTxt(inputID, outputID){
var inputElement = document.getElementById(inputID);
var outputElement = document.getElementById(outputID);
outputElement.innerHTML = inputElement.value;
}
function myFunction()
{
document.getElementById("a").innerHTML="My name is ";
}
function myFunctiona()
{
document.getElementById("b").innerHTML=", and i named my son";
}
function myFunctionb()
{
document.getElementById("b").innerHTML="too. We live in";
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<div>
My Name: <input type="text" id="myname"><br>
Son's Name: <input type="text" id="sonsname"><br>
<button type="button" onclick="myFunction(); updateTxt('myname', 'output1'); myFunctiona(); updateTxt('sonsname', 'output2'); myFunctionb(); updateTxt('country', 'output3');">Run</button><br>
<p id="a"></p><span id="output1"></span><p id="b"></p><span id="output2"></span><p id="c"></p><span id="output3"></span>
</div>
</html>

ok so i figured it out, Ingolme really helped me get started. here is what i have now and does exactly what i want, also, i think it looks pretty clean:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Javascript and buttons</title>
<script>
function updateTxt(inputID, outputID){
var inputElement = document.getElementById(inputID);
var outputElement = document.getElementById(outputID);
outputElement.innerHTML = inputElement.value;
}
function myFunction()
{
document.getElementById("a").innerHTML="My name is ";
document.getElementById("b").innerHTML=", and i named my son";
document.getElementById("c").innerHTML="too. We live in";
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<div>
My Name: <input type="text" id="myname"><br>
Son's Name: <input type="text" id="sonsname"><br>
<button type="button" onclick="myFunction(); updateTxt('myname', 'output1'); updateTxt('sonsname', 'output2'); updateTxt('country', 'output3');">Run</button><br>
<span id="a"></span><span id="output1"></span><span id="b"></span><span id="output2"></span><span id="c"></span><span id="output3"></span>
</div>
</html>