tennor

That's code. In the beginning, that seemed like overkill to me to.

Then I got it.

All you have to do is work on a script that has a huge upside and you'll get it to. IMO.

i flew though the javascript tutorial no problem, thought i would do something else before i do jquery or php just to have a break. thought sql would be easy but no luck. i dont have a problem with single tables, all makes sense. a bit confused with the apostrophes above but when it comes to joins and inner joins i am totally lost. its making me think i don't really understand data bases at all.

Edited by tennor

i flew though the javascript tutorial no problem

You flew through the Javascript tutorial and missed the part about string concatenation? Maybe you flew too quickly. This page has examples of using string concatenation, it's the same thing you posted above even though the language is different:http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_operators.asp

thought sql would be easy

Let's be clear - programming and computer science are entire career fields. People spend 4 years getting a Bachelor's degree in computer science, then several more years getting a Master's degree, then several more years getting a Doctorate. What you are finding online are very shallow tutorials that hardly even scratch the surface in terms of the actual theory behind everything. Don't expect to "fly through" a few online tutorials and all of a sudden know how to write software, it doesn't work that way. If you want to go beyond the basic tutorials then I would suggest moving to books or formal classes. There are entire books devoted to database design for example, and entire books devoted to SQL, or PHP, or Javascript. Check oreilly.com and see what they have listed there on the various topics.
  • Like 1

A Book....PHP & MySQL- Novice to Ninja, 5th Edition.... flicking though the pages feels so good, it doesn't get any better then this! i have to say that i don't think much of the tutorials on here, i got stuck with sql then started on php all fine until i got to php objects. it doesn't explain what each line of code does and i refuse to move on if i don't understand it. Anyway this book so far explains everything line by line, you've got to love it.

Database connection established!!!!!! yes.....oh yes.....show me what you got baby......i want it all.......give me your data..... someone who isn't me reaches for his meth pipe. And there was me thinking about jumping in front of a bus.

RE: #6, sql and php go together. i suppose you could split them up, but what would be the point.

i agree niche! im working my though a book now which covers both sql and php, and so far so good. had a good day yesterday when my 3 year wasn't around. its almost impossible to learn new stuff with him around. i haven't done any of this stuff, java, php, sql for 12 years. just been making flash websites since uni. They say the only thing that is constant is change, i thought flash was here to stay. (may make a come back who knows) Have you ever thought about moving to a remote part of alaska niche and living off the land and being one with nature?

php and sql is starting to get a little bit tricky. why do they make life so complicated? surly there is an easier way then this. Some say that you dont need to know how things work, just that they do.

Cut, past and scarper.

Some say that you dont need to know how things work, just that they do.

Some people aren't programmers.

Know the foundations of computer science: algorithms, machine architectures, data structures, etc. Don't just blindly copy techniques from application to application. Know what you are doing, that it works, and why it works. Don't think you know what the industry will be in five years time or what you'll be doing then, so gather a portfolio of general and useful skills. Try to write better, more principled code. Work to make "programming" more of a professional activity and less of a low-level "hacking" activity (programming is also a craft, but not just a craft). Learn from the classics in the field and the better advanced textbooks; don't be satisfied with the easily digested "how to" guides and online documentation - it's shallow.-- Bjarne Stroustrup

• Like 1

surely cut, paste and scarper techniques are low level first steps into the world of programming, but i agree they are not really programmers.However even if you know javascript inside out, it would be pointless in writing code from scratch each time when you have perfectly good code that you can cut and paste. The whole idea of OOP is to reuse code. Redesigning the wheel benefits no one and waists time. There will always be a need for experts, when the NHS used cut, paste and scarper programmers to update their database system they totally trashed it, (mixing up records) experts were called in and the whole database had to be recreated. so cut paste and scarper is going on at all levels.

The first steps into programming, in colleges and universities, is to teach control structures such as if, while and functions. After that is data structures. Arrays, trees, linked lists and such. There's no copy paste involved there.

No beginner, or even intermediate, should be copying and pasting code.

Advanced people do it, this is nothing to do with programming, but with software engineering. You determine what your system does, and try to acquire as many subsystems as possible to make development cheaper. You could call these subsystems "copy paste" but it's not exactly like that.

I don't know what "scarper" is supposed to mean, but copying and pasting is not programming. Writing code is programming. As far as "re-inventing the wheel" goes, if you find yourself copying and pasting code a lot then that code probably needs to be a class or function that you can include and use the same code for instead of copying and pasting stuff all over the place. Reusing code does not mean copying and pasting code, it means designing a class that is flexible enough to be used in multiple places, and then instantiating and using the class wherever you need it.

bodgit and scarper is the saying, i guess it generally refers to builders that don't really know what they are doing or don't care. They do a job that on the surface looks good but it all falls apart after a few weeks, but by then they are long gone with your money.

They do a job that on the surface looks good but it all falls apart after a few weeks, but by then they are long gone with your money.

Is that the kind of programmer you want to be? If so, then copying and pasting code without understanding that code is the way to go. Any programmer worth the money you will pay them will understand all of the code they are using, even if they copied and pasted portions of it. Being a programmer doesn't mean physically typing every character yourself, it means that you know what you're doing. People who don't understand the languages and just copy and paste stuff around are not programmers. We answer several questions from those people here in this forum to know who is and who is not a programmer. The non-programmers are the people who post a bunch of code, talk about their errors, get advice on how to fix the errors, and have no clue how to change the code to fix the errors because they never understood the code in the first place.

No that's not the type of programmer i want to be. But, look at this job description below, They seem to want people who know everything for 30 grand a year. surly what they are going to get is a copy n paste guy. Key responsibilities include:

• To build, enhance and maintain websites• Design graphics, emails and web pages• Amend, code and test email campaigns• Share expertise and knowledge of latest web trends and technologies• Respond to design and CSS related support enquiries • Work under direction of the digital team leader• Wire-framing, creating site maps and UXTo qualify, our client is looking for a candidate who has experience in:• Adobe Creative Suite• HTML5• CSS• Email coding• FlashWith knowledge of:• CMS• PHP/.net• JQuery• SQL• Javascript